Do you need the EH-6 to clean a D2x?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I read somewhere (I think it was from Moose Peterson) that to clean dust from the DXx series camera you need to use the AC power cable. I believe the logic was that the sensor or the low pass filter over the sensor will be statically charged by the battery. Thus (if memory serves) according to this theory, if you flip the mirror up using the bulb setting with the camera battery as the power source, the dust will still be attracted to the filter or sensor by the magnetic field produced by static electricity and simply blowing the dust with a bulb blower will not remove most of the dust that is clinging to the surface. The static charge (I assume) is not necessarily enough to pull in new dust from any distance but makes the dust that finds it's way in there more "sticky".

Where-as, again if my memory is accurate, this condition does not occur if you use the AC power cable to power the camera and flip up the mirror. Also, does this (if true) also apply to using the brushes or other methods of cleaning the filter or sensor?

Can anyone verify this? Also, I have a Digital Camera Battery with a cable for the D1x. If I upgrade the cable to a D2x version (only because it's cheaper than the AC cord) would I then be able to use this external battery as a power source with the same success as using an AC cable or would this just be the same as using the internal camera battery?

Thank you

2. This issue has been discussed over and over and the static electricity theory debunked. I have no first hand knowledge but there is enough second hand knowledge floating around to make me feel safe in saying that is not true. There are also pro's and con's about which method keeps the mirror locked up the best. On the one hand a power failure during cleaning could spell disaster. On the other hand if your battery in the camera failed while using a manual release this too could cause problems.

I see the issue as six of one, half a dozen of the other.

3. Thanks for your reply Gordon, I sincerley do appreciate it. I will try to do a more thorough search next time before asking a question. After almost a year, I finally hve been confronted by the need to eliminate dust from the sensor cover. I am considering buying one of these brushes, but boy they are so expensive.

http://www.visibledust.com/sensor_cleaning_products.html

Still a lot cheaper than the sensor if I try to save money and take a shortcut using something more risky.

4. I just set it to bulb then I hold the camera body horizontally with the F mount down and blow it clean with one of these bulb like blowers. Works like a charm!

5. Scott, you might try to clean the sensor with just a blower. I use the Giotta's Rocket (purchased at B&H Camera). So far I have never had to do a complete clean of the CCD. To clean with a bulb blower I put the camera on bulb and trip the shutter with a manual release and then lock the release. With the opening facing downward I just blow with the bulb blower. Many people do likewise with good success. It is more successful in dry climates than it is in humid climates but is worth a try no matter where you live.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  7. Thanks again to all, I love this forum. Paul thanks for the link, as always you are spot on when it comes to good advice or encouragement and helpful information when needed. As always, greatly appreciated.

8. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    The D2H requires an AC power adapter or you cannot flip the mirror up at all (unlike the cheaper D70 which lets you do it without an adapter).

You might want to read this link
    http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_SensorBrush.htm#end

9. Hmmm, not so Carroll. You simple put the D2H on bulb and trip the shutter, locking it open with a manual release. I have also had my wife hold the shutter release down while in bulb and then used the Giotto's Rocket to blow out the dust.

10. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Okay, the LCD menu will not let you execute the mirror lock up command without the AC adapter.

Otherwise, yes you can hardlock the shutter with a bulb shutter release but that seems incredibly risky to me. Obviously it works for you though and you have a handy assistant. :)