Do you print much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbirdsong, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Why? I can look at them on my computer when I want to.

11.4%
  2. Heck yeah, my mother out law won't look at them on my computer!!!

11.4%
  3. Sure, but only 4x6 of the best shots

20.0%
  4. Mostly larger shots that I put up around the house.

60.0%
  5. Only when I sell something...

22.9%
  6. I can't afford to print anything.. I have a bad case of Lens Lust that takes all my money!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

In a thread about prints for my mom I mentioned that I use a Kodak DyeSub printer for my 4x6 prints (I work as a rep assigned to Kodak P&S Cameras).
    Now I don't print many 4x6 prints for myself, but I do from family members and friends.
    Me I like to print large prints.
    I do a lot of 8x10's that I keep in a notebook binder to show friends and family, and recently started hanging more of them up in frames around the house.
    I also have a lot of 11x14 and 16x20 prints around the house too.
    What I noticed the other day is that I really don't like 8x10's on the walls, to darn small. Even my wife looked at one of the shots of our oldest I hung in the hall way and said, you need to reprint it as a larger print.

So my question is how many print on a regular basis?

2. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I print a lot.

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I print larger prints at home, and have used Snapfish/Shutterfly for large quantities of prints (like vacation photos). And then, only 4x6s.

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    MY best shots from any paid sessions get printed as 8x10 for my portfolios in my studio. My very best go to 20 x 24's on canvas and hung in my studio

5. for now only when I sell something- I just don't have the money to afford a better printer that would be less wasteful of ink and give better results overall, and so when I print i print with a massive amount of ink- and I can't afford the cartridges every week :frown:

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My family gave me an Epson R1800 for my birthday/Father's Day. I only print occassionally and usually for large prints that I give away as perks to families that purchase large orders through my Printroom.com site. I do some unique post processing to an image, matte and frame it, then give it to them as a special thank you for their business. I rarely print and hang images that I shoot for home decor...seems rather odd to hang an image of an athlete that we hardly know. When I get better at other types of photography, I'd like to replace hangings with my images.

7. I print a lot and mostly A5 (13x18 cm) and sometimes A4 size (20x30 cm)!
    Of course I have printed some A3 (30x40cm) and recently I just printed a few 70x100cm...!!! :wink:

8. The photography club that I'm in holds about four exhibits a year, in & around Richmond. I print about four 11" x 14"s for each show. That's about it for printing. I'm going to start printing some 4x6s for family & friends. I don't have an easy way to do that. I'm thinking about Qimage. Anybody have any experience with using that program? I do print & sell a few 8x10s from my web site.

9. MattKuether

MattKuether Guest

I love printing pictures, expecially big pictures. I guess big is subjective, after printing so many 8x10s, they no longer seem so big anymore. :wink: I also print people pictures almost exclusively. Usually the only time I print photos without people is when I make a vacation album.

Pretty much every time I process a new batch of pictures I end up uploading a bunch of them to mpix to be printed at 8x10+. I don't hang most of them, I just keep them in a flip-book. I love thumbing through them. All of my printing also proved to have a practical application; I used my prints to create a huge photo collage at my wedding reception.

I have a little Sony dye-sub printer that I use when I need to make 4x6s in small batches. The quality is certainly not as good as mpix, but it's convienent. If I need a bunch of 4x6s, I'll usually send the batch to mpix.

10. Best print program out there IMHO - and great customer support. You need to read the help file to get started down the right path - it is not the most intuitive program in the world from what I read before downloading the demo a year or two ago but is explained well in the help file.

11. I print a ton of 4x6's. I use mpix exclusively, and I usually have 2-3 months' worth printed at a time. Occasionally I'll have an 8x10 printed to hang. I used to have a little Kodak 4x6 printer, and I miss it....it was nice for dd to be able to print a few of her pictures right away, rather than waiting for me to upload and order from mpix.

12. I do not print much right now. I have printed a few for family and friends. Still looking at a better printer.

13. I print a lot ( Epson 2200 and 4800)

14. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I am glad to see that people here are printing photos...
    One of the things that I have seen over the last 5 years in working as a rep is that people are starting to print more.
    Thanks responding

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I almost NEVER print. Sometimes if someone I know wants a print badly enough I upload to a service and have it printed and drop-shipped.

Last summer when I was paid to shoot a picnic for a large social organization, I put the processed photos on a CD and gave that to them. That's what I usually do.....although one time about 2 years ago, while shooting a dinner event, there was a photo of a couple that I really liked, so I printed an 8X10 for them as a gift.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Everyday and usually big. I should buy stock in Epson for the ink I use.

17. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I Print all of the time

I'm constatnly updating the portfolios which I leave at the stores I sell through and I'm always printing stuff for sale.

99% of my printing is done on 13" x 19" paper with an image size of 15" x 11".

18. RForshey

RForshey Guest

You and me both! :biggrin:

19. For my "need it quick" images I take them to Costco. If I have a week before I need them they go to WHCC. The only ones I print are for friends and my wife and even then I think it costs me more to print my own than it does to take them to Costco. The other day I had Costco print two 8x10's, six 5x7's, one 4x6 and 27 wallets for just a bit over $10. With the price of a cartridge and paper it may be cheaper at Costco. Besides they know me and print while I wait with no auto corrections.

20. I do all my printing at home (Canon PIXMA ip8500 - love it!).
    I'll print a good number of 4 X 6 and the odd 8 X 10.