Do YOU pronounce GIF correctly?????

The guy who invented it is a computer scientist, not a linguist. I bet he's pronouncing it wrong.

Remember, Einstein was beaten by Niels Bohr on a thought experiment, because good 'ole Albert didn't take relativity into account.

"But he invented it" is not an argument for me :smile:

Arguments over the pronunciation of GIF date back at least to the USENET days. I have done my duty and raised my children to pronounce it correctly as "GIF," with a hard G, not "JIF," like the peanut butter. :smile:

Arguments over the pronunciation of GIF date back at least to the USENET days. I have done my duty and raised my children to pronounce it correctly as "GIF," with a hard G, not "JIF," like the peanut butter. :smile:
I did my duty as a teacher and taught my children to pronounce it "jif"... :tongue: 'ge' 'gi' gy' = /j/

How 'bout this one...?

EE-Ther-Net ~ or ~ Eh-Ther-Net...?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And if the inventer say's "jiff" then it's "jiff"...!

(I was right all along...!)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, how many of you actually bothered to read what the Inventor says? I know that some say that shouldn't matter, but heck, doesn't the poor old guy deserve a little respect????

This reminds me of one of my old favorite comedy trios, who in one episode sang this great song Swingin' the Alphabet. My favorite part is the Solo when they come to "J", which, by the way, is the One True Way to pronounce Jiff, the file format as well as the Peanut Butter :biggrin::biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Respect, yes. Obedience, no :biggrin:

Besides, over here, Jif is either lemon juice or toilet cleaner :biggrin:
What do you mean "over here"? I have a buddy who lives just south of Bellevue in Newcastle, and he never says that. Oh, wait a minute, you aren't in Nescastle, WA, good ole' USA?????? :wink::wink:

Funny, isn't it, how consistent English is?????

If you say jif like the peanut butter, you must also say Nikon with long e sound because that is what the company uses in Japan.

If you use a hard g for gif then you can say Nikon with an long i sound.
A good point. Not valid, in my eyes :smile:, but good none the less.

The difference is that Nikon (as in the Knights of Ni!) is generally accepted Japanese pronounciation. Nobody in Japan is arguing if it's Ni!Ni!Ni!kon ("you will cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring") or N-eye-kon. We're just arguing if you should pronounce it the right way or the American way.

"Gif" is a different story as it's an acronym (for once we can use that term here, PSD is an abbreviation, not an acronym). Should we pronounce the first letter because it's derived from the word "Graphic", or should we treat it as a word and pronounce the G as in "gigolo", "gigantic" or "giraffe?"

Edit: or as in "Girlfriend", "Gizmo", "Girth?"

My preference is a hard G as in "Graphic", but if we treat "gif" as a word (acronym) then maybe we should really treat it as a word and pronounce the "G" like it usually is when followed by an "i"?

That i, of course is still pronounced as "ee" in the name "Nikon". And Carthage should be destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
And according to this article there were originally four sounds for a 'g':

We should be glad there are only two alternatives. When the 'g' was first used to write Old English, it stood for four different sounds: a hard g, a soft g, a 'y' sound as in "yes," and a sort of soft gargle we no longer use in English

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom