Do you respond to your PM's?

Over the past couple of months I have sent several PM's to members on here seeking their advice. The PM's were both polite and complimentary, asking basic questions as to what their opinion would be on certain subjects relating to photography.

Out of the several I have sent, there are a couple who didn't ever respond. I see them post away on here, without even acknowleging the fact that I had contacted them.

When I receive PM's on here, I make sure I respond to each and every one, regardless of what it is concerning. It's common courtesy... one which seems to be disappearing :mad:

I'd like to think they just overlooked them, or are just very busy, but come on... Let's call a spade a spade. It is nothing more than uncourteous and downright rude.

End rant.

I try to respond to my PMs. Sometimes I may be busy and not even get onto the Cafe for a time. I think there are probably people on here who do not even know they get PMs or may have the notification turned off. Probably some of our well known members get more PMs than they can possibly answer. Even worse, a female member showed me some of the PMs she got... You guys know who you are, I have seen your .... pictures. Anyway, Jonny, what I am saying is that not everyone uses the PM function the same way so do not be offended if they do not answer.
Pete

Uh, that's what the forum is for. If someone is inclined to answer in the forum, they will. The point of having a forum is so that information can be utilized by all.

I absolutely agree. I do reply to all PM, but sort of dread it, because I much prefer to spend the time trying to help publicly. Others have the same questions, so just post them - it definitely seems a more efficient effort to try to share. You may get a wider response, with better answers. Public also keeps me honest, if I say something too dumb or opinionated, others are quick to help out. :smile:

It is what the forum is for, and it seems of advantage to share.

Uh, that's what the forum is for. If someone is inclined to answer in the forum, they will. The point of having a forum is so that information can be utilized by all. What did you want to know by the way??

Your flip reply is inappropriate. Following your logic would, we should do away with the PMs.

I always reply, and can only remember one person who did not reply. People get busy, things get over looked, it has happened to me. If the subject is important to you, give them another nudge.

What really chaps me with the PM system, is the extended time consuming help I have given to members, without so much as a thank you. I mean 3 hours at my computer just for a member. Jeez

I try not to hold this against new folks, and I sure share their names with others. It is not just my problem, others have mentioned the same to me.

I think it is a sign of the times.

If someone takes their time to type out a long explanation , including links, and sends you emails with software, after downloading software in order to help you, then at least acknowledge their help, effort and time.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I've started many threads asking for advice on equipment, technique or where to go. The response from Cafe members has always been very good and I like getting thoughts from different folks.

That said, I've sometimes sent PMs for specific follow up and found members very good about replying.

I always respond to PMs sent to me....

I always respond. I also think it's possible that some people aren't aware of the PM system, and may not even realize that they have messages waiting.

If for some reason members don't want to receive PMs, they can always turn that feature off in their profile. That would seem a better thing to do than simply ignore them.

limited time on here with over 11,000 posts Mike? LOL.

I have always responded, though I did turn email notification off, as I got tired of getting all those notices. I figure I am here every day or so, that is sufficient and I added a notice in my signature to email me if you really want to get me.

limited time on here with over 11,000 posts Mike? LOL.

I have always responded, though I did turn email notification off, as I got tired of getting all those notices. I figure I am here every day or so, that is sufficient and I added a notice in my signature to email me if you really want to get me.

Yes i know seems odd but I had participated much more in the early days of the Cafe unfortunaly work, and life are effecting my Cafe tme

I always reply to my PM's on here and other forums. Sometimes it might take me a day or two but I always make it a point to do so.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
One thing to remember is that sometimes folks PM boxes are full and they may not get the notice.

so don't forget to clean out those in boxes and sent boxes!

Umm, should I respond to moderator Pm's? Got one for posting a photo which was copyrighed, and I don't know if its customary to respond to the mods or not.

Latest threads

Top Bottom