Do you spend more to buy locally?

Back in the 70's I used to go a store called Franks Cameras in Highland Park and Frank would always negotiate - heck some times the haggling was as much fun as getting a new toy

I remember Franks really well. I got most of my OM System lenses, tripod/monopod, and bags from them way back when (in the 80's).

It's been sooooo long, though, I don't even know if they are still in business.

S

suicidal

I'm a small business owner (retail). Our family has been in business for 17 years now, so I support the local mom and pop spot. Last week i bought a 50mm 1.8 for $149.99 when it can be had from B&H for $30 less. I also bought a light stand for $69, when i could have bought a comperable one online for $39. I may be spending more money, and it may seem idiotic to some people, but I support the smaller guys, because, well...i am in their shoes.

Well if you want to support local stores and save money, taxes at least, buy from a mom and pop/local store in another state. I found a number of stores around the country to buy from. While people were waiting in line for the latest lens in short supply, I could usually find it on a shelf somewhere. I used to use Charlotte Camera, but they dropped Nikon, due to poor supply.
While I like B&H, they are not the god of camera stores.

If they are not in my state, how "local" are they? I see your point, but even B&H is the local store to many.

Real Name
Doug
If a local merchant provides service and support beyond mere warranty work, then it is probably worth paying a little more. As Edward notes in a previous reply, there is real value in being able to hold and try out the exact item you are buying. I made the choice of a Nikon 12-24 over a less expensive (and generally well regarded) Tokina based on an in-store test drive.

Sadly that shop, Shewmaker's, our last local camera shop closed last year. They were nice helpful folks with lots of knowledge and experience to share. They had monthly classes and outings that ran the gamut from beginner tutorials to advanced sessions. They were more expensive than the internet outlets but with a little haggling I could usually get an acceptable price. I miss them.

I think we all need to get used to the reality that very few local camera shops are likely to survive. Folks who frequent this forum must realize that we are a tiny minority. We are enthusiasts who use, mostly, expensive DSLRs and even more expensive lenses and other gear. The average local camera shop has a very limited customer base for such big ticket items. The big internet merchants such as B&H can access a national customer base and thus earn a living where a local shop cannot.

At the other end of the cost spectrum, P&S cameras are a high volume, low margin market. The big boys will overwhelm the small shops. (One of the guys at Shewmaker's showed me their invoice on several popular P&S cameras. Their cost was higher than the typical sale price at Best Buy).

And, BTW, this same dynamic applies to other products and markets. For instance, the local book store is nearly extinct. Here in Colorado Springs we had two excellent locally owned book stores: Chinook, which had been here for many decades and McKinzey/White, a more recent entry. Both are gone now. The only brick and mortar book stores in town for new books are national chains: Barnes&Noble and Borders. There are a handful of used book stores as well, but no local full-service booksellers.

Bottom line: by all means buy local if you get something of value for the higher price. But realize that there may be nothing any of us can do to save the local "little guy". They are an endangered species.

Heh. Thanks, JD. :) I have to admit, I was pretty taken aback by those. It's not like I posted, "I haven't paid my mortgage in six months and the dog and the kids are fighting over the crumbs in the couch cushions. Should I get that 600mm or not?"

To which the answer would have to be "Nah, you want something with a wider field of view and shorter minimum focus distance for those shots..."

:biggrin:

Back on topic (sort of). Occasionally it works out the other way: Amazon's high turnover meant they were quick to pass on the Nikon price hikes at the end of 2008; I got my 105/2.8 VR Micro for £80 less at the local shop :Love:

i try to support the local guys as much as possible, but there are some out there that are ridiculously overpriced. been to a few that sold things well over msrp, used items at new item prices, and gave attitudes when you interrupt their personal conversation with the local guy that hangs out at the store everyday just to ask them a question.

they are no longer in business and if you do a search you will find this

http://czechrealty.cz/EnglishVersion/FranksCameraStore-LosAngeles.htm

I really loved that place, bought my first Hasselblad there and more than one Leica

Thanks for that link! Brings back a lot of good memories.

A google search did bring me to something on Yelp that says that the remnants of the store are still there and open for business, sort of, as of November 2009. Might have to wander in there some time when I'm up that way.

If they are not in my state, how "local" are they? I see your point, but even B&H is the local store to many.

Well we could support each others LOCAL stores, but taxes might be all that you could save :smile:

Tax collection is coming, too much money is being lost. My state is a a couple of Billion short on our budget. that is a lot of pressure for change.

After posting, I went to my camera stores file, so I could list some names.
Many many of the stores are gone or no longer carrying Nikon.:frown:
I had filled out my kit in 07/08 and not visited my listed stores in awhile.

Looks like the supply choices are disappearing. That could lead to higher prices.

Edit: Just checked another great store, Charlotte Camera, they are gone.

I'm a small business owner (retail). Our family has been in business for 17 years now, so I support the local mom and pop spot. Last week i bought a 50mm 1.8 for $149.99 when it can be had from B&H for $30 less. I also bought a light stand for $69, when i could have bought a comperable one online for $39. I may be spending more money, and it may seem idiotic to some people, but I support the smaller guys, because, well...i am in their shoes.

+1. As am I.

Compete or go out of business. That is life. I'm sorry but if you aren't offering me something for that $60.00 then you don't deserve it. Local stores offer instant gratification and knowledge. Some value that and will pay. If not enough value it then goodbye. I have no moral obligation to support a store that doesn't offer me any value. It is commerce.

And Gretchen that noob comment was uncalled for. There is no experience line to cross that qualifies one for new gear or not. It is up to the OP if she values the differences between the af-s and af-d.
A small independent store can't compete with a large warehouse in the middle of Kansas who orders their stuff when you order it, etc.

My retail store pays an insurance for Bio-Terrorism. I have nearly more horses then people in my county, yet it's a few thousand a year.

Alexis,
I decide where to buy on two simple criteria:

1) If I went to a b&m store to try the item or ask for input, I will buy it from them - even if it is more $$. I will not hesitate to ask them to price match B&H photo online price or to give me a discount for paying cash (they have no credit card fee to cover). If they won't budge - fine, they still gave me additional services that I am paying for.

2) If I just know what I want (or lust:) I buy from wherever the total cost is less, including s&h. Taxes are never an issue as I always pay them in my state return anyway. If it's a local b&m that is fine, but in this case I always buy the least expensive keeping in mind trustability of the reseller (sorry 48th Street:)

And if so, how MUCH more will you spend to support a local business?

I've been pondering this topic today, since I decided to bite the bullet and buy the 50mm 1.4. It's $500 at the local camera shop -- $440 at Amazon or B&H.

I really want to support the local store ... especially as it's the only camera store remaining in my city, besides Ritz. But 60 bucks is not an insubstantial chunk of change, especially when you're already shelling out several hundred dollars!

When I called today to ask about the price, I also asked if there was any room for negotiating. Apparently, the owner is the only one with the authority to do that, and he's out till Thursday. So I guess I'll go in then and see if he's willing to come down any. (Maybe if I bring the kids, he'll do it, just to get them out of the store, LOL!) I'm happy to pay $10, $20, even $30 more to buy from a local store ... but there comes a point where I need to consider ME, too, KWIM?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic!

When I was buying new equipment (1974-1990, when I quit cold turkey), I almost always bought locally in New Orleans. I didn't trust mail order places. I did buy a lot of Hasselblad equipment from B&H in the 1980s, but that was because no one local stocked what I wanted.

Now that I've returned to photography (in 2005), I buy used Nikon manual focus gear from eBay and Keh. I now live in a very small town (population under 2000), so there are no camera stores for many miles.

Well we could support each others LOCAL stores, but taxes might be all that you could save :smile:

Tax collection is coming, too much money is being lost. My state is a a couple of Billion short on our budget. that is a lot of pressure for change.

This is true. As I type, my state of Colorado is getting very close this legislative session to start collecting taxes for online sales. The odds for passage look good at this point, it will be interesting to see if states that charge taxes will see local businesses benefit. I suspect for really big ticket items some people will use folks they know in other states to circumvent paying the taxes and small guys will never be able to compete with B&H and NewEgg, so who knows.

Personally, I am a huge supporter of shopping locally and try to target much of my spending at locally owned businesses, but I also buy items online. In many cases, shopping locally isn't really an option as what I want isn't within 50 miles of me to buy locally. Oh sure they will be happy to order it, but at that point I start thinking gee why don't I order it and save myself some coin?

I've bought several lenses at my local Canoga Camera store (Greater Los Angeles Area). They've been around for many years and they always let me try all the lenses I need and if I don't like it, I can return/exchange within 2 weeks which is convenient because the front-and-back focusing issues will not really become apparent before one shoots for several days. Samys sometimes has good deals for refurbs, I bought a Nikon refurb D40x body there for $279 and it was perfect. Generally though Samys prices are pretty high, but their rental prices are quite reasonable. They also have a lot of things in stock.

The problem is even the local guys can't compete with chains with a B&M storefront (Best Buy, Wolf, Target, Walmart, etc)

Even if people choose to buy locally because they want instant gratification, they will still price check and end up going to Best Buy or Sears because of their high volume discount capabilities. Mom & Pops still lose out.

To me, B&H/Amazon is better than Best Buy, Walmart. Probably because I never see who is working the counters at the online shops. Can't get mad at something you never really see.

Honestly,

If it is only a $10-20 (after tax) difference i will buy local.
When i was looking at a 55-200 i found a very well known store that would get me the lens under $200 shipped. If i buy local it is $250 + tax which is another $20.

Real Name
Jake Ebersole
I love supporting local businesses. 2 businesses closed here in Findlay so I go 45 minutes up the interstate to Perrysburg. I get a student discount there at Kohnes and they're always willing to bargain with me. I've purchased my SB-600, tripod, camera bag, and some odds and ends there. They don't try to sell me something I don't need. They know me by name and they're always really nice. I would much rather pay a little more for local.

Latest threads

Top Bottom