Do you think Nikon has a chance to go under?

Those were not my comments, simply responses I received by Sony users when I asked what they liked and didn't like about the top end Sonys................
Thanks for the clarification, Karen! Of course some of those could have been issues with the older Sony top-of-the-line models; I know there were some problems with the A7R II which were not completely resolved with the A7R III but which now apparently have been with the A7R IV. I certainly have not experienced any of that with my A7R IV. I do know that one issue that they resolved with that current flagship model is the grip, which is apparently much better and more comfortable than that on earlier models. I have small hands and the body feels very comfortable to me, even with the Wimberley/Arca-Swiss type plate attached to the bottom for when I need to put the camera on one of my tripods. One of these days I'll get around to an L-Bracket, but in the meantime the plate works just fine. Most of the time I am hand-holding the camera anyway, so no urgency there.

Sony is my choice right now for mirrorless mainly due to diverse third-party lens selection, excellent battery life with 3rd gen and up bodies, ability to use an external power pack through USB Type-C, best implementation of focus peaking for manual lenses and in general not skimping on accessory features such as dual card slot, plus vertical battery grip.

Saying that, I'm not really a fan of their GM primes and zooms (I prefer Nikkors first party glass for rendering and colors); build and ergonomics aren't top-notch (Nikon Z bodies feel more premium), Sony warranty is only 1 year (versus USA warranties - Nikon 5 years, Tamron 6 years and Sigma 4 years); they outsource repairs to a third party; metering/auto ISO isn't as good as Nikon and lastly their flash system feels like an after thought.

Nikon's DSLR eco system feels incredibly mature, but Nikon's latest bean counter saving measures has made me pause and even downsized my Nikon DSLR kit, while shooting with Sony mirrorless. I've been thinking of swinging one way or the other, but I feel I lose features going either way! I get the both of best worlds shooting with two systems!

FYI - My 5 Samyang AF primes cost as much as either 1 premium Sony GM or Nikon S prime/zoom lens! Plus I have the benefit of being able to focus tune the lenses using the Samyang USB dock which can be tuned for optimal sharpness. Also the Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6 FE lens I'm shooting with is perhaps is one of the best super zooms I've shot with. I'd gladly give up a wide 24mm, to have a fast 28mm 2.8!
Battery life is great with the newer bodies, and I'm loving it! Focus peaking won my heart back when I had the NEX-7 and it really is useful. I haven't taken much advantage yet of having the dual card slots in my A7R IV but I do appreciate having them and also still being able to use SD cards rather than those QXD or whatever they're called.

I have been very pleased so far with both the zooms I have (100-400mm GM and 200-600mm G) as well as the faster primes and my beloved 90mm macro, which was the main reason I made the switch to Sony in the first place. All native lenses, no fuss, no muss -- just mount the lens on the camera and away we go.....

Real Name
David
Does it have a chance? Sure, any company has a chance.

Nikon isn't going under. Japanese business is very different. They're part of the Mitsubishi Zaibatsu.......
OK I know nothing about Japanese Corp structures but.....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 1665757

View attachment 1665756

View attachment 1665758
Hmm, but most likely Nikon provides industrial and optical equipment to those other heavy industries. You think it's possible they might separate the consumer photographic business from Nikon's industrial businesses similar to Olympus? Plus if Nikon has money in the bank, they could just downsize their product line to a handful of DSLRs and the rest mirrorless. Olympus had nowhere else to go and opted not to go with the L-mount alliance. They threw in their hat at the right time. Nikon still has a bit more mobility in their product line. I do think they should open up the Z mount though, more third party glass can fill up the lens line-up faster and would partially negate Sony's lead. I could see them gaining a few percentage points in marketshare by doing so.

Real Name
David
.....You think it's possible they might separate the consumer photographic business from Nikon's industrial businesses similar to Olympus? .....
No idea, I just happened across it a few weeks ago and it struck me as an example of just how confusing Corp structures can be.

......I do think they should open up the Z mount though, more third party glass can fill up the lens line-up faster and would partially negate Sony's lead. I could see them gaining a few percentage points in market share by doing so.
I think it would be great to get Sigma and / or Tamron on board.

No idea, I just happened across it a few weeks ago and it struck me as an example of just how confusing Corp structures can be.

I think it would be great to get Sigma and / or Tamron on board.
I think if they had some sort of licensing agreement in place, it would diversify the Z mount and allow bigger adoption. Sony carved out a huge chunk of marketshare which formerly belonged to Nikon. Canon didn't really lose much of their dominance and with the R5/R6, they'll probably gain back any lost ground. Just on FM's buy/sell board, I'm seeing an influx of Sony bodies being sold and it's probably due to Canon's recent announcement.

Real Name
Paul

View attachment 1665757

View attachment 1665756

View attachment 1665758

I never knew Olympus made face cream and plastic tableware. The mind boggles...

Thom Hogan has commented on the article I linked to in Post #15 above. He says:

While I agree with most of his points and calculations, I think he's over-optimistic about where the ILC market will flatten out (he suggests 6.5m units, I think 4m units). That puts things much closer to his worst case scenario for Nikon Imaging, though if Nikon can hold market share, that still leaves them profitable. Blokhin also overstates the Precision story, because he mostly dismisses the market cycles that happen with semiconductors. But again, that fundamentally doesn't change his conclusion, it just lowers the expected future value of Nikon some.

As I've noted many times before, Nikon is fiscally run as a very tight ship. They hoarded cash before needing it. They continue to spend on R&D. Nikon should still be making cameras years from now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom