1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do you uprez for large prints or let the lab do it?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by hotrod4x5, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Title says it all. If you do, what method do you use? (bicubic smoother, bicubic sharper, etc.) Or do you just send the native camera file size?

2. Well, I just purchased Genuine Fractals, so I am answering my own question. I'm not going to leave it up to the lab to decide how to uprez my images.

I just received an order for 4 - 20x30's, 2 - 24x36's, and several other sizes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have not needed to with my D2x up to 24x36 prints.

4. I rarely ever print larger than A3. In this case I let Qimage do the job.

Cheers

5. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    If it needs to be upsized, i let Millers do it for me.

6. Rodney

Can you post a "review" of GF please.

FWIW, I have used PS to uprez images with good results but I don't have any other program to compare too. Would like to hear is GF is any "better".

Thanks
    JohnG

7. This means the lab is doing it for you.

8. I'll do my best, sure. I've always used CS2 as well. But this is my first corporate client, and they have connections and I need to make the best possible prints, and of course they want HUGE prints.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I am the lab.:wink:

10. Then you have to uprez to make enlargements, the native file size, even from a D2X is not going to give you a 24x36!?!?!

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No I don't.

Never had a client, or anyone else for that matter, say that my prints were of poor quality. It depends on the image and processing.

12. How do you tell the printer to print 24x36?? The file from the camera is not 24 inches. Some where, you are telling the software to print it bigger. So some software is uprezzing, if you dont do it manually in PS, then it is being done in the printer driver.

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You can resize without maintaining dpi.

Do you think billboards are 300 dpi?

14. You are a man of few words. LOL so now you are saying you do resize, but you allow the DPI to be reduced? Most inkjets need at least 240 DPI if my information is correct.

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Sorry about that. At work and on the move.:wink:

Resize is different than uprez.

I print below 240dpi often.

16. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    300 DPI is ideal, but not always necessary...I have a 200 dpi (I think) shot from my D100 days. 48" wide 13" tall full frame crop. No upsizing. It's framed and in my office.

But you better be good at any cloning work you do...at that size you see ALL the mistakes. :) 

17. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Somebody is uprezzing at 24x36

I think you don't quite understand what is going on in the printing software. Most printers have a "native" resolution that they will print in order to produce their best quality results. When they are given an image that does not match that resolution, they uprez or downrez the image so that the dots they need to print match the printer's capabilities. There are lots of places that this uprezzing can happen.
    • You can do it manually before you print (e.g. Photoshop or Genuine Fractals).
    • Your printing software can do it for you (e.g. QImage or the Lab's printing software).
    • The printer drivers can do it before the bits are sent to the printer.
    • The printer firmware can do it after the bits are sent to the printer.
    If you are not doing it manually before you print, one of the other three pieces of software is doing it for you and you are still getting good results.

I think the original poster's question was to ask people's opinion on whether they think results are better when they do the uprezzing manually or when they let the other software in the system do it for them. You, it appears, are perfectly happy letting the other software in the system handle it for you (as am I).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  18. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    John,

I know exactly what is going on in my printing software.

19. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Are you suggesting that when you print 24x36, there is no uprezzing happening anywhere? Not before printing? Not anywhere as part of the printing process?

20. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.