Do you use a half-case?

I was wondering if anyone here uses a half-case. I just received a Lim’s half-case and it changes the balance of my Z6, so I may not be keeping it. I’m just curious about other experiences, pros/cons, etc.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated!!

Real Name
David
Not really the same, but....

I've used half cases on almost every rangefinder style camera I've had, fixed or interchangeable lens. At the same time I've never used one for any SLR style body. Though I did have an add-on grip for my original Olympus E-M10 mk1. It helped the grip for larger lenses which is also why I've always used them for rangefinders.

I've never felt the need on any Nikon or my larger Olympus bodies and I've never felt the need to have them to protect the bodies.

My family bought me one for the Leica CL last Christmas. The only reason I use it is that it is a Christmas present. I, as you said, found it changes the balance and the ergonomics. The half case adds probably about 1/4" to the thickness of the body. That is enough to make it a distraction.

Real Name
Andrew
I had a couple half cases in the past. One for the PEN-F (no name brand from Amazon) and for the Nikon Df(Gariz).

I had them mainly for the protection of the camera and not for the handling. It protects the bottom grip and that is what I wanted them for.

For improving handling, I’d rather have an actual grip.

Half cases are 10% off every day at our local Kroger store, so yes, I do use them fairly often.

My apologies for a flippant answer, but I have never heard of a "half case" in a photography context.
They look nice but often times affect the functionality. They tend to restrict access to the battery access or memory card slot. But the same would be true for film cameras. To change a roll, you have to remove the case.

I think I’m giving up on the half-case. It looks nice, but as others have said, it just adds bulk to the body and throws off the ergonomics.

Thanks for all the responses!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom