Do you use a Printer or Paper Profile?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Electromen, Nov 11, 2005.

1. I was wondering how many here use a profile for your printer.
    Which printer?
    What type of paper?
    Who's profile?
    What combintion do you feel is the best, for archival quality.

Thanks, Greg

2. OK Greg, here's my input:
    I use a Canon PIXMA ip8500 printer. Like more and more printers these days, it came with several profiles (that are made for Canon paper used with Canon inks, obviously). I find that these profiles are OK, but certainly not beyond improvement (much better then nothing).
    I quickly had a custom profile made (by Cathy's: http://www.cathysprofiles.com ). A pretty straightforward process, but you need to be very methodical and precise to have it made. If not: garbage in / garbage out.
    I only had one profile made, since I always use the same paper and ink (Canon Photo Paper Pro and original Canon ink). If you use various paper / inks, then you need a profile for each combination of course.
    I also print exclusively with QImage, which is the greatest (for me, that is). If you know what you are doing, it is the printing application that will allow you tremendous versatility (I only use it for printing, which is what it is for, really).
    The result with all of this is that I am very, very pleased with my prints.

3. Thanks Fritz, the reason I'm asking is to look for ways to improve. I'm satisfied with the results I'm getting, but maybe they can be better.

I'm using an Epson R800 with Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper. I'm using a printer profile for the R800 that comes with Photoshop CS2 and letting Photoshop determine colors. I downloaded a profile from Epson, but it does not recognize CS2. It did recognize CS.

I'm interested in different papers such as matte and lustre, but don't have much experience with them and their profiles.
    Greg

4. Epson 1280
    Epson Premium Glossy
    I use the Printer Color Management built into the driver
    No opinion on archival quality.

5. Hi Greg,

I am using a Epson R1800, and downloaded additional profiles from the Epson site. CS2 does recognize the profile for me, am using SPR1800_PrmGlsy_Photo.icm, and also let PS2 determine the colors.

I use ColorPlus to calibrate my monitor and the colors on my CRT monitor match very close to what gets printed. I do have one small issue with a narrow range of skin tone that is sometimes a little light.

Always have been using Epson premium glossy or premium semigloss paper, but recently found CompUSA Premium High Glossy paper is very close with the pigment ink.

6. I have found having a custom printer profile made is well worth the cost.
    I use a Canon i950 with Canon ink and Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl Paper.
    The profiling was carried out by Tony Riley http://www.imageplace.co.uk/
    who provides an excellent service.
    My view is that a printer profile is far more important than a monitor profile.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I use an Epson 1800 with predominantly Epson Premium Glossy Paper. I downloaded the profile from the Epson site and use PS CS2...the program does recognise the profile. For some additional info on different types of paper...PM Papa85 (Tony) and ask for his comments...he has quite a bit of experience with a variety of papers.

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Aloha Greg.

I have the HP DJ130, a 24" printer, and use it's bundled profiles for various papers. Custom ICC profiles would be better but so far I like the results I'm getting well enough not to bother. Most printer manufacturer's canned profiles are getting pretty respectable. One nice thing about the HP DJ series is that it has a closed loop calibration system. You print out a test pattern on whatever paper you're using and the printer sucks it back in, scans it and sets a firmware adjustment for 'your' particular printer and that paper in memory. Nice.

Also, don't forget that the first step to good printing is an adequately calibrated monitor. The second is to use a good ICC profile for printing on your ink/paper combo of choice. The third would be knowing how to set up a good color management workflow that takes both your ICC profile and CS settings into consideration in print set up.

9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I also use a profile for my Epson and Epson matte paper. The monitor is calibrated with an EyeOne. I have a suspicion that if the monitor isn't calibrated the printer profile is kind of a hit or miss thing, though I've been told by several people they don't profile anything, just adjust the printer output to closely match what the monitor shows.
    Whatever floats the boat, I guess.
    Jarrell

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Jarrell,

If a person is serious about obtaining WYSIWYG from their printers they must first calibrate their monitors as you suggest and then they should use a proper printer ICC profile for their particular printer/paper/ink combo. It all works in unison.

All the printer ICC is doing is mathematically crunching an on-screen image to simulate transmitted light and color (monitor view) in a reflective paper print. But if your monitor isn't calibrated correctly you're sending a false image to the printer ICC and the print often comes out crummy. You can't blame the ICC for this, it did it's job assuming you sent it an accurate image to be processed in the first place.

Without proper monitor calibration, proper ICC profile and a good color management regimine, you'll never know what you might get from your printer and then begin that terrible, wastefull trial and error thing in hopes of receiving a print that matches your on-screen look.

If a person does calibrate their monitor, uses a proper ICC printer profile and then knows how to direct their printer set up to it correctly, they will ALWAYS get a print that matches their on screen look.

It boils down to this: do you want to dink with every print you try to make, waste materials and time in an unncessary 'trial and error' approach or would you rather hit "Print" and know that what comes out of the printer is what you imagined it might be?

It might sound difficult or time comsuming at first, but its simple really and becomes second nature after you develope a good color management/print workflow understanding.

PS: I use the ColorVision Spyder to calibrate my monitor. I calibrate every 2 months. It's on the low end as these things go but very good as far as I'm concerned. Retail cost is around $150USD. I sell fine art prints for a living.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005
  11. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I use a Canon i9900. I have both profiled my monitor with a Monaco Optix XR and my printer with Cathy's profiles for both Costo paper and several ilford papers. I print using Qimage. My prints almost exactly match my monitor, with the only difference being the front lighting vs. the backlighting. I've never been happier with my printing. In those instances and I'm not happy with the print, and I check the proof in Qimage, I find it was usually my mistake in not examining the proof closer before printing. The prints are that close to the monitor image.

Mike