Do you use a remote cord/device?

I'm curious to hear about usage of remote cables/IR devices, etc. How many of you use them, and for what types of photo shooting?

I'm considering an MC-36. :smile:

For landscape shooting, I pretty much always shoot from a tripod with cable release and MLU. It makes a real difference in image sharpness, especially if you want to print big.

Jeff, I was thinking of landscape and macro work.
I use it for macro too as long as you have stationary subjects that would allow you to shoot that way, say flowers and such. Might be kind of hard to use MLU/Cable release while chasing down butterflies though... :smile:

Gretchen,

I received an MC-36 for Christmas from my husband. My only issue with it is that there isn't a power button. Therefore, you have to remove the batteries when not in use to prevent battery drain. Otherwise, it is a nifty tool.

Gretchen,

I received an MC-36 for Christmas from my husband. My only issue with it is that there isn't a power button. Therefore, you have to remove the batteries when not in use to prevent battery drain. Otherwise, it is a nifty tool.

Crystall, there's no need to do that. I've been running a year and half without changing batteries or removing them when they're not being used.

While a little costly I'm another vote for the MC-36. You can use it for a simple shutter relese with or without batteries. Also I like the timer functions in the remote better than what the D200 has to offer. The timer works great with mirror lock up and multiple shots. Oh and Crystal all you need to do is hold the illuminator/lock button until an "L" is displayed to lock all the buttons(except the shutter release button). This keeps things off while in your gear bag. To unlock just hold the same button till the "L" goes away.

HHARRIS
:)

I have an MC-30 but find that I don't use it often. It does an excellent job and it really is a case of me being lazy - I should use it more.

Yep. MC-30. Simple and gets the job done. For looooong exposures I just lock the MC-30 release down and use my watch to time exposure.

These electronic shutter releases aren't cheap (I long for the days when a mechanical release could be had for $5) but they are a required item in every photographer's bag.

Cheers,

Yeah I also got the MC-30 and it is doing good. Since I recently bought a Macro lens and the MC-30 really helps in my Macro Shooting. A must have for any photographers bag it is!

I use an MC-30 & MLU for landscape and macros. One advantage for macros (besides the obvious) is you gain some flexibility in your positioning when hand-holding a second flash (an approach I've been trying a lot lately).

I had an MC-36 in my travel bag as we were touring the South Pacific for 7 weeks in Feb/Mar. We were at Ayers Rock in Australia at sunset and got a nice series of pictures (at 1 minute intervals) of Ayers Rock as the sun set behind us and the colors and shadows changed the view. If you have a tripod, a remote release is a necessary tool.

Pete

I bought an ML-L3 (IR keyfob remote) for the D70 and forgot to include it when I gave the camera away. Gretchen, you're welcome to it if you want. Or anyone else..... Just PM or email me with an address and I'll put it in the mail.

I got this one http://www.adorama.com/CZDRD200R.html from Adorama for the D200. I don't know about the 100' range they claim, but it works good for me at least out to 30' or so. I haven't tried it any further. It's definitely an el-cheapo but it works and hasn't fallen apart yet.

I don't use it much so couldn't justify buying the Nikon version.

I still need to get a short cord for tripod use. Anyone have any experience with the generic ones?

Thanx,

Bill

I still need to get a short cord for tripod use. Anyone have any experience with the generic ones?

I picked the ADIDT M1 remote cord recently. It's 2.6 feet long, allows for a half press or a full press, and supports shooting in continuous mode. I searched for an etailer for you, and am sorry I did, because Virtual Village offers it for a third of the price I paid at San Jose Camera :-(. Oh, well, that'll teach me to not to make impulse buys in the future.

http://www.virtualvillage.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=3608376&utm_source=baseusa&utm_medium=shopping

Latest threads

Top Bottom