Do you use Auto ISO - POLL

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by strobel, Nov 29, 2005.

Do you use auto ISO

Poll closed Dec 9, 2005.
  1. Always

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Frequently

19.0%
  3. Seldom

34.5%
  4. Never- (how dare you ask)

46.6%
  1. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    just curious how many people use the auto ISO feature. The D2X has become a large learning curve for me. One thing I consistently do is forget to check the ISO Settings until I have taken a few shots, that sucks. I have considered using this feature and was wondering when and if people are using it.

2. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Iliah put me on the path to using this technique. Low light situations is when I use it. Use manual mode, set shutter speed to limit hand shake at given focal length, set apeture for sweet spot or artistic intent, and let camera decide proper exposure by varying ISO between 100 and 800 by 1/3's.:smile:

3. Like Charles says (works also on D70 and D2H)... but that's not a large percentage of my shots, so I voted "seldom".

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ron-

i've used it twice on my D2H, the second time by accident (forgot that i had it on auto ISO). i can't say that i liked it too much as the ISO varied from 200~1600 when i tried it out on an overcast day with occasional flashes of sunlight.

i would give it another go if i had more confidence in the high ISO capabilities of the D2H.

ricky

5. Nope.

Okay, I voted now.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Never ever - that is one decision I don't want the camera to take.

8. I use it in the same way that Charles (cwilt) said. Not very often, though.

9. I am most definitely in the "Frequently" column. I can't remember if it was Iliah who made the suggestion, or someone else, but as I shoot a lot in low-light situations this allows the use of fractional ISO steps up to 1600 on my D2H. Helps a ton with noise issue when you don't have to make a jump all the way from 1250 to 1600 in one step. Also, as I had this past Sunday, when I am shooting birds who start to fly at ground level and then up to a brighter sky, I can see ISO change from 1500-200 in one sequence of shots, and I find it much easier than trying to change exposure, via ISO/Shutter/Aperture/Compensation, on the fly. My poor old fingers and brain just can't work that fast. On this day, due to overcast with peeks of sun, I set Manual wide-open, f5.6 with the 1.4 on my 500mm, Shutter Speed to 1/800 or 1/1000 and away I went. Pretty happy with most, I'll deal with noise as required. Works great during night football for me as well.

10. Nope, too much of a control freak for that. I don't even use any program modes. Manual all the way.

Edit: I do use auto focus as I don't trust my eyes to be correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2005
  11. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Jury's still out...

Well, I've used it on my D70 and I got a mixed bag of results. Some were ok shots, others were "what were you thinking?" results. I've been meaning to play around with it... see how it behaves in one of my night long-exposure shots, but haven't yet...

Now if it had a limiter on it, I might be more inclined to give it another whirl (it doesn't, right? Suddenly I can't remember it being mentioned in the manual D70 anywhere).

Peter

12. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL

That is my feelings. If I could keep it between 100 and 800 I would be more likely to give it a try.

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    That is the very reason I did not like auto-ISO on the D70.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I confess I use the D100 version once in a while - usually in conjunction with P mode. Go ahead, stone me, I use autofocus too! :wink:

15. Used it just a few times, but will try it more as it seems to be quite an interesting option.

BTW, Chris, love your new avatar though it's a bit scary. Is it the reason why you are less active in the past few days?

16. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I've never used it, but I shoot landscapes. Don't have to worry about rocks getting up and moving in low light..