Do you use lens caps?

I know this may be an odd question, but I’m wondering if you use lens caps when storing them in your kit bag for day-to-day use.

Actually almost never.

All of my lenses have clear (high quality) filters. I know, I know, another piece of glass, functionally not necessary, possible image degradation (though for the shooting I do I've never seen it), etc. etc. It's just when I'm traveling, my cameras are constantly going in and out of a bag and the last thing I want to worry about is doing a careful cleaning.

It's one of those old unbreakable habits that I've never been able to cure myself of . . . scotch, lobster bisque, really good pasta, fun cars, chocolate cake . . . I could (maybe) live without all of them but at this point . . .

Always when not shooting. Once in a while when shooting. :whistle:
Z6I_5532_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I lose them more than I use them.
People joked about my use of the lens cap keepers and, for lenses when those aren't practical, my use of the thingy attached to my belt that holds the lens cap on the belt. Once I began using them, I don't ever remember losing a lens cap. Before using those items, I was constantly dropping the lens caps or setting them down and walking away from them.

No clear ffilters - lens cap except for shooting. Actually, with my long lenses I leave the lens hood in the car when I venture out. With shorter lenses that have an actual plastic cap I keep the cap on till I am set to shoot.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
No clear ffilters - lens cap except for shooting. Actually, with my long lenses I leave the lens hood in the car when I venture out. With shorter lenses that have an actual plastic cap I keep the cap on till I am set to shoot.
FWIW......I have used Lens Coat hoodies for years on my 14-24mm, 500 and 600mm lenses. Love them! Hard bottom protects lens, even in the bag. Neoprene stretches so its easy to take on and off. AND - I can stuff it in a pocket when I am shooting. I select the camo pattern to match my other gear coverings. I do take and use the lens hood in the field to control stray light hitting the lens glass when shooting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom