Do you use RAW of JPG for fast action sports?

I found that with my D7100 I can shoot a burst of 5 raw shots and then it slows down to what seems like one a second. Pausing needs to be at least 3 or 4 seconds to get that 5 shot burst again.

My SD cards are Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mbs microsd cards which perform the same as the full size cards do in my testing so it's not the cards, it's the buffer.

I can shoot Large, Fine jpgs without issue.

What format do you use?

Thanks

Raw for me too. Need all the detail I can get from every shot I take due to fast changing light conditions that always seem to occur or errors in metering. I do often shoot raw +jpeg to make it easier to review the files quickly on the computer and select the keepers to open in raw.

fyi I also use sandisk 95's and used to have a D7100
The D7100's buffer is way too small for alot of bursting so the best fix (for fps) is probably shoot jpg only
I'm not sure any sd card will fix the thru put issue
The D7200 completely fixed the buffer issue and the AF issues of the D7100

Technology is available to shoot raw even in demanding situations such as transmitting pictures at half time. With fast card reader, software such as Photo Mechanic, in-camera photo tagging, and cameras with large buffers, sports photographers shoot raw and still be able to select and edit pictures and transmit them as the game progresses. But it is going to cost you. If your equipment allows you, it is preferable to shoot raw. It sounds like your D7100 is holding you back.

Thanks. I guess I should have done more research before picking up the D7100. Next game I'm going to use my D600 which does not have this issue.

I haven't compared 12 vs 14 bit quality yet but I can get 9 shots off with faster recovery with 12bit lossless compressed vs 5 shots of 14 bit. I saw no noticeable differences between lossless compressed and just compressed.

Raw. Especially under the lights - many are blinking vapor lamps. Raw gives you a little more latitude in post.

I shoot RAW for everything, even when it's not sports. It's easier for me to fix things (exposure, white balance) in my stuff than it is for my colleagues shooting jpegs.

I've taken some so-so photos, usually underexposed, and made them into usable shots, things that would be much more difficult with a jpeg.

I haven't noticed a serious slowdown in fps except when I do a really long burst, which doesn't happen often. But I've never shot jpeg, so I can't directly compare.

Just an old 'monkey that sells lots of pics...'pegs pour moi. :D

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ok, Just to add to the confusion. I shoot Raw on the D500 +2/3 stop exposure correction and Raw + JPEG on the D810 with 1/3 stop exposure compensation. Why? Georgie told me to.... The D500 is for birds and action and I expose to the right for better sensor well utilization and usually don't have time to dial in the exposure. with the D810 I have more time to dial in the exposure to work for what I think is the right exposure. The JPEG can stand a +1/3 stop while using +2/3 ends up with blocked highlights sometimes.

Using RawDigger on files from both cameras the metered exposure leaves slightly more than one stop of headroom in the sensor well

Cheers,
Alexis and Georgie Beagle

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom