Do you use the Lens Coat

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Only neg I can think of is it does cover up the filter slot, so I had to cut an opening myself, but I love mine, keeps the dings down getting in and out of the car, out in the brush, etc. etc.

Also, in summer it keeps the heat down on the lens too.

Back when I got mine they only had one flavor of camo,

[​IMG]

2. No I sent it back. I felt the quality was not up to snuff and it did not fit my 400 properly. I talked to them about it and they acknowledged that it didnt fit, and where going to send me something but never did, so back it went...

3. I also found the fit on my 400mm f2.8 left a lot to be desired and I would not recommend that product for this lens.

At the same time I bought one for my 70-200 and the fits is fine. I decided to keep the 400 LC because even if the fit is "bad" it still breaks up the outline of the "big black bazooka". When I purchased these I also located some of the identical fabric (as by the yard goods) and asked my wife to sew up some "sleeves" that fit over my tripod legs to disrupt their outline as well. Also have camo clothes to match. Helps a lot when sneaking up on some criters in the swamp...

4. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Another photographer told me about how he bought some StearnsĀ® Mad Dog Gauntlet Decoy Gloves and cut them to fit.
    I did the same thing. The cost was about $20.00. They come in three colors, mossy oak, camo and black. If done correctly you only use one glove....so essentially you still have finger/hand warmers since you use the forearm part to cut and fit.
    I have a genuine Lens Coat cover on my other lens. I prefer the home-made one as it is thicker and has a very soft, very thin lining inside.

Lisa

5. I just posted this in another forum but it fits here too:

me-1.

I love it. It protects the lens nicely, stops it getting to cold or to hot to handle in extreme weather, adds a bit of water proofing and fits just fine.

A friend of mine has them on his 200-400 and his 600mm as well and no complaints from him either.