Do you use the "List Subscriptions" link?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve S, Jan 5, 2006.

Do you use the "List Subscriptions" link?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2006.
  1. Sure do, how else could I possibly keep up with threads I've participated in?

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nope, don't have time for that.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. What's a User CP?

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Since the Cafe is growing by leaps and bounds, in an effort to get the word out more than anything, I thought I'd ask everyone if they use this function, or if they even know it existed. So, do you use the "List Subscriptions" link in your User CP (Control Panel)? (clicking on it will show all the threads you'd participated in)

2. I always check my 'subscribed threads' every time I log on.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. first thing I click to when I sign on. Sometimes, when I'm in a rush, the only thing!

5. I choose to get emails on the threads i have subscribed to and use "new posts" to keep abreast of current goings on. The great thing about the way this site is designed, is that it give flexibility in how one chooses to use and monitor it. However, based on what I do there is not an appropriate selection in the poll for me to check.
    Dave

6. Sure, I use this feature too, but from Quick Links | Subscribed Threads. It's quicker than opening the User CP (!).

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    same here, that's what i do after scanning the new posts in case i missed something.

ricky

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    For those who do not know about this feature, the control for subscribing is not very intuitive, so here are some instructions: To turn it on (is it on by default? - mine's off) you need to go into the "UserCP" (link in the upper left of this window) and select "Edit Options" from the links on the left. Scroll down a bit until you come to the "Messaging and Notifications" box. In the middle of that box, is a sub-box titled "Default Thread Subscription Mode", and there is a menu. If you want to activate subscriptions set the menu to "No Email Notification". To turn subscriptions off, select "Do Not Subscribe".

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Problem with email notifications

esp if you post a lot, like me. I don't want to be notified of every single thread I've ever participated in by email, just the ones that still interest me, or are current. I tried it, and turned it off after a wk. Too many notifications!

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Whenever I post in a thread I get a subscription with no notification by default. If I want to follow a particular thread more closely I'll turn on notification for that specific thread.

When I come to the cafe first thing I do is check the Subscriptions link from the Quick Links drop-down at the top to see any activity in threads I'm subscribed to. After that I go to the "New Threads" link to see the rest of the activity since my last visit. I never use the main forum index to browse specific subforums.