Dockside at sunset (huge pano)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ZBaum, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

After being somewhat dissatisfied with my results from last evening (see this post: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=120828), I was given an amazing sunset to work with today. Knowing that I'd be leaving tomorrow, I knew that I had to make the most of it. So I went down to the dock, and shot over 100 shots. This pano was made using 20 individual photos, taken without a tripod. After seeing the separate shots, I knew it'd make a killed pano. I struggled with many programs, but couldn't get any good results. I then stumbled upon Panorama Maker 4 Pro, and boy did it do a good job. Enjoy this view, I doubt I'll see anything like this again for quite a few years.

[​IMG]

Taken with my D70 and 18-70 (thanks nancyr, this lens came just in time for my vacation). All shots at 1/400, f/5, ISO 400.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    This is a pretty cool image. The cloud formation and it's reflection in the water is spectacular. Pano is something I have yet to atempt.

3. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great work! Well done!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is really beautiful

5. wow Zach that is cool! I hope you had a great vacation

6. Excellent. Very nice. This must be awesome full size.

7. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Thanks senna. This is my first successful pano, and I'm quite pleased with the results. There are a few seams that are visible at full size, but it should be a quick job in CS2 to clean them up.

Thanks a lot haze!

Thank you Gale :smile:

My vacation was really great. Lakefront house, 2 minute drive to the ocean beach, 25 minutes from Newport (we went and saw the Tall Ships), excellent seafood restaurant right down the road. Doesn't get much better. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks nucci. It is quite nice in full size, but I'm a bit hesitant to post a higher resolution version of it online. This one will hopefully make it to the printer soon.

8. Great job Zach, well done. would like to see it just a little lighter.

9. Very Nice

I really like the panoramic view of this photo. I have recently been thinking about shots that you could frame in this manner. Great photo!

10. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you said (moved up the highlights using Levels), and it really makes the colors pop.

[​IMG]

Thanks Grogls. A single photo would never have been enough to capture the whole scene. I love the Panorama Maker software, but the Pro version is $80 to purchase, which I don't think I can afford :frown:. Frankly, the photomerge feature in CS2 just didn't come close to what Panorama Maker did with the photos.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes that looks better
    I just hit it with shadow/highlight
    Looks good

12. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Great capture! and well stitched together. I've been using Autostitch with pretty good results, have you tried that one?

13. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Haven't tried that one yet, but I'll take a look at it and give it a try. Thanks for your input.