Doctor Who

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mart61, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    For any of you chaps and chapesses that know about Doctor Who, the show that aired yesterday was superb! It's a two-parter so keep your eyes on the BBC web site. It's going to be a good climax methinks.

Yesterday's episode featured several of the new and old cast members, including:

• Sarah-Jane Smith
    • Rose Tyler
    • Martha Jones
    • Captain Jack Harkness

You can view the episode here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/e...But a fearsome old enemy waits in the shadows...

Best go find yourself a sofa to hide behind first though!

2. Yup here on my side of the pond I um 'found' it online before it airs here and it was a stellar episode - can't wait to see the finale on it.

3. Long long time that i have seen the doctor.It was in the time that Blue Peter had that cat and golden retriever in it.(in Holland we have standard a wide scale of tv channels from countries around us)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  4. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Wasn't Richard Dawkins supposed to be on Dr. Who as well? I thought I heard something about that too.

5. Tom Baker was the only Doctor Who for me.

Haven't watched since then. Nearly what, 30 years now? :biggrin:

6. Comming to think of it.. It must be 25 or 30 years ago.Just realize BP did not have Goldie but the Shepard as mascot.(BP and dr Who came next of eachother on BBC round dinner time)

7. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I liked Tom baker on Jon Pertwee.

The new doctors ahve been good tho, and the shows have a much higher budget now.

8. We just have to see who will be the new doctor... Can't wait until saturday...

NOTE: I just read on the BBC website that the final episode will have a running time of 65 minutes instead of the normal 45 minutes. Yummy!

9. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    A freind and I have some theories:

1 - Re-generation is halted (big cop-out - would be VERY dissappointed with RTD)

2 - Something happens with The Hand so he comes back as himself

3 - He comes back as Christopher Eccleston (time in the Medusa Cascade is messed up so he goes backwards). This would allow him to then go forwards in time again and come back as himself for the Xmas episode. Just thought this theory up and am quite impressed with it!!!

4 - He does regenerate so the whole Xmas filming thing is one big hoax.

Other things to note.............

Did you hear the drums?

Who nicked the Master's ring (it looked like his wife didn't it?). Has the Master (or his powers) returned in another form?

Time will have to reset anyway like in the last finale so the humans don't remember the Earth being nicked.

10. yeah last I knew David Tennent wasn't going anywhere - unlike Christopher Eccelston (who only wanted to do one season)

so the re-gen thing caught me off guard - I grew up on the Tom Baker Doctor Who but I really do like David and Christophers versions (for those of you who haven't seen any of the new Doctor's I recommend watching them) I also like the Torchwood spin-off as well - althought that season ender was quite a shocker too.

I missed the drums - where did you hear them? (I do believe it was the Masters wife that picked up his ring) I'll have to watch it again - there was just so much going on that I'm sure I missed some of the smaller things.

What about the Doctor's 'daughter'? she'll pop back up somewhere I'm sure too....

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Good point on the daughter.

And how about River Song? She was the lady that the Dr met in a previous episode when they were in the Library. The lady who knew the Dr but he didn't seem to know her. What part will she play?

12. Finally, a thread with class! The wife and I have been following Dr. Who since the late 1970's. I have, to my knowledge, every known episode of the Drs. from William Hartnell through David Tennant. Even Sara Jane's first spin off episode with K-9 from the 1980's as I recall.

Here in the U.S. on the East coast we're a few episodes behind; we see it on the Sci-Fi channel. The latest one was "Silence of the Dead.". Bummer about Donna just "missing" her husband because he stuttered and couldn't call out her name. Can't wait to watch the one linked here.

I once won a bet with a Star Wars fan who refused to believe Darth Vader's character was lifted from Dr. Who until I let him see the scene with the villain in the first Peladon episode with John Pertwee...even down to the heavy breathing.

Back in the 1980's a local TV channel had a fund drive which featured the Dr. and they sold signed Hirshfeld lithographs of the (then) seven doctors. They were $500 and we still display it mounted in the home entertainment room.

My favorite Doctors: Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston; worst Colin Baker.

13. Sarah Jane had a whole spin-off series last year or so (called The Sarah Jane Adventures)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sarah_Jane_Adventures

and Rich - I've hooked several friends on The Doctor via Sci-Fi's rebroadcasts - the nice thing is that this season is only a few weeks behind the UK broadcasts so I can still have conversations with them about the show without forgetting which one they just saw - hahaha.

14. Thanks, we've watched them but they seem aimed at a younger set and didn't record them..

15. yeah my understanding was they were more geared towards children instead of 'adults'

but that's fine - Torchwood I think is enough of a spin-off to keep us excited (I know BBC America has been broadcasting them if you have it in your area Rich) and it gives us Doctor fans something to watch between Doctor series!

Oh and don't forget - Bad Wolf has reared its head again recently too - that may play in to the season ender as well.

16. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Rich! Another Dr Who fan! Good on ya Rich!

Torchwood is good. Capt Jack is quite a fellow and how about Gwen? I likes her!

[​IMG]

17. I love Capt Jack - but Torchwood certainly isn't for the homophobic though - hehe

and yes Gwen is pretty dreamy

18. Torchwood was good in the beginning but it is a bit too dark and edgy for us.

A trivia question. Isn't a time lord limited to a finite number of regenerations? I recall something like eleven or so. I know in the original BBC Dr. Who series the Master had run out and was eeking along somehow. If you count William Hartnell as the original, that would make David Tennant the 9th regeneration. (for those who disagree, remember that Sylvester McCoy actually appeared on the Fox TV pilot and regenerated into the FOX Dr. Who so you have to count that one. I really don't care for the Master character; it's too campy and tongue-in-cheek. The original Master(s) were really nasty and pure evil.

I enjoy the series immensely because they have stuck to the story line fairly closely, the budget does the series justice and finally, the acting is top notch. Our family has been gathering each Wednesday for dinner for 16 years now and when they aire, instead of an after dinner movie we watch the latest Dr. Who episode. Now we've hooked all the grandkids on the Doctor. Wonderful how you can still find some decent stuff on TV which the entire family can enjoy.

By the way did anyone see David Tennant on Top Gear? Unfortunately his speed run was slower than Billie McNair's and the host Jeremy Clarkson made all sorts of puns about Dr. Who and how the assistant whopped him.

Carolyn is as big a fan as I but she just left for a bridge tournament and doesn't have access to a computer and see the episodes which have been linked. She'll kill me if I watch them and she finds out. What to do? :tongue:

19. My wife is a who-head, so she's dragging me through watching them.

highlight with your mouse to read the text below (so that those who don't want to see the spoiler will not):

I couldn't help but let out a loud "NOOOOOOOOOOO" for a few minutes when I heard the daleks. Doesn't that russel guy think that there are any worthwhile opponents in the entire universe that aren't somehow connected with the daleks? I mean come on! The Daleks have had more comebacks than cher, barbara streisand, and michael jordan combined!

Now the episodes written by Steven Moffat, those I like because they're interesting and fresh. (Such as the ones in the library. Why couldn't those guys have been up to no good? They actually posed a challenge!)

20. Rich!

A Top Gear fan too! the 11 series just started in the UK two weeks ago - I love that show as well!

Christopher Eccelston was on it during his run as the Doctor - and they had to get an automatic transmission car for him because he didn't know how to drive! hehehe (and the car made an 'appearance' on the track just like the Tardis does)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.