1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dodging football players...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    One thing I've learned in my brief time of shooting sports, is always be aware. Whether it's baseball, soccer, track (such as discus throws, shotputs..etc)
    But football is something else. I find myself following a play, and literally almost got ran over twice on Friday.
    I said...almost.
    I did react in time. It's so easy to get caught up in the game, and things can happen fast.
    It was my first game of the season. I'll pay much more attention next game, you can be sure.

Any of you folks ever been hit by a ball, or ran into by a player at a game?

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Yes to both counts unfortunately. Luckily no damage done to me or him during either.

But, it sure re-enforced the idea that I should get professional indemnity insurance.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Been there....done that! I've been hit by baseballs and almost bowled over by football players as they over-run plays along the sidelines. You are correct, paying close attention is vitally necessary for our personal safety and that of our gear.

4. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Well, the Saturday before last, I was hit by a football player for the first time. It was on a kick return and the opposing player was drifting towards my area.
    I remember watching him through the lens, thinking 'Okay, if he keeps going the way he is, he'll be skirting the numbers; if he gets hit in front of me, he should fall within a safe, albeit close, distance, but if he cuts to his right...'

Then the player began a subtle juke to his left, and I knew that I was screwed.
    I ran, but got tagged in the right kidney by a shoulder pad.
    Stiffened my back for a half a day, but was otherwise ok.

Shoot with both eyes open.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ouch!!! The thing that I have to keep remembering.....I have a 300mm lens, I don't need to be too close to the sideline!

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Good advice....John....
    "shoot with both eyes open"

I've never been hit in football, but last Friday was pretty darn close. I just did get out of the way. Would have been my fault, should have been paying more attention. Should have been shooting with both eyes open.

7. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Insurance is probably a good idea if you do alot of this.

Just think some young athelete has a promising career ahead of him and gets hurt by youre equipment as hes tackled out of bounds . Think of the law suit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.