Does anyone have the Sigma 300mm 2.8?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BrendaC, Jul 13, 2008.

1. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Any thoughts on it? Thanks.

2. Almost nobody has this lens, because (1) the Sigma 120-300/f2.8 is about the same price and weight, and (2) Sigma acknowledged a few years ago that the 120-300 was actually a better performer than their 300/2.8. Personally I think that Sigma quietly redesigned their 300/f2.8 recently (probably when it got the DG designation), because results from recent ones have been really good, but they don't acknowledge such a change.

3. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Brian, I don't recall people talking about it but I ran across it when I was looking at B and H and was wondering.

4. rawke

rawke

Jun 16, 2008
    Canada
    I'm curious as to how the Sigma has faired in the real world as well since the Nikon 300s are impossible to get a hold of these days. If the IQ and AF performance is similar, the Sigma may hold me over until I can afford the VR or find a used older 300.

5. AMKP

AMKP Guest

I have the 120-300 F2.8 that i got 1 year ago (or was it 2? cant remember)
    I cant compare it to the nikkor cause i have never seen or tried it before.
    But i gotta say i love mine

The downside is if you wanna use a TC, u can only use sigma's own TC.
    Nikon 1.7 and 2.0 wont fit and if i remember correctly the 1,4 fits but doesnt work
    (Kenko 1.4 TC doesnt work either)

Had been using it with my D70, then D200 and now D300, the AF is awesome (then again consider that before this 'upgrade' all i got is a AF 300 F4 and a 80-400 VR)

Used it for Motorsports (sort of), and used it a lot in birding
    its very handheld-able, i used it to take a lot of pan shots of cars and birds
    the downside i would say is the zoom ring is in a kinda wierd position. its pretty hard to pan and zoom at the same time. (or i just have terrible arm hand co-ordination. XD)

I am very happy with the lens, its sharp enough (could be better but good enough), personally i think the price:performance ratio is just great

Here are some shots i got with it

98252966.gif

View attachment 220547

View attachment 220548

Sorry that i am not very technical, and not very detailed, but i hope this will somehow help yu someway.

6. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    So even though it's a zoom it's still 2.8 at 300mm?

7. Yes, it is a fixed f/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range.

8. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks.

9. I believe MMarz has one.

10. Yep. It's f/2.8 at 120mm and f/2.8 at 300mm. It weighs about 8oz more than the 300/f2.8 prime lens, and it costs about the same $2700 on the street. It's got to be hard for Sigma to sell the prime when they're offering the zoom for the same price and better optical quality.

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I have the 120-300 and it's very nice lens for sports. I considered the prime too and read various review and felt it was pretty even IQ wise. Maybe at 300 and 2.8 prime had a marginal advantage ?

I'm still after a Nikkor though, lol

12. https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=178057
    Brenda,
    check out atleast the last 5 post I've done with this lens exclusively with a 2x convertor.
    Very fast focusing and I've owned both Nikon VR lenses 300 2.8 and 200-400..
    I don't know if I could ever let go of this lens because its so sharp, fast and has good range up to 600mm at 5.6.
    Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Kevin, checked them out very nice. Some reviews that I have read made me a little dubious, concerns of IQ, but your images certainly prove otherwise.

Darren, no complaints of IQ?