Does anyone here have the new 200mm f/2 AFS VR?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Joe Photo, May 14, 2005.

1. I'd really like to see a full-rez shot from this lens. Aside from taking a day trip to B&H in NY, no one has this lens in stock for me to see it. I haven't heard a bad thing about it, but for the cash it costs - I'd like to see it or at least photos from it.

Thanks!

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This is one of the finest Nikkors ever made. Just go ahead and buy it. There is nothing to consider if you have the money.

3. Joe,

Asks Yve P. (aka Bobbie Joe). He has some samples shots with this lens which is awesome but heavy (asides the cost :cry: )

4. gwmcgee

gwmcgee Guest

I HAVE ONE-I AM TRYING TO USE IT WITH MY DAUGHTERS PLAYING SOFTBALL AND SOCCER-MY LUCK COMES AND GOES-SOME SHOTS ARE IN FOCUS AND SOME ARE NOT-I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE VERY FAST FOCUSING BUT I DO NOT KNOW-USING WITH D2X-GWM

5. I just got mine.....and I find it very difficult to lock in a focus considering the depth of field is so narrow.

Here is a bokeh teaser. The little bird is actually flown in from another shot on the same bird-house taken earlier the same session. I couldn't wait any longer for one to land there again.

GenoP

Nikon D2x, Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
    1/80s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200
    original.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice looking treatment of the bokeh Geno - and 1/80 to boot! How far from the bird were you?

Interesting, two reports of focus hunting. :( That's my only complaint with the 180mm f/2.8, which is afaict, the lens this one replaces (at 7x the cost.) Hopefully this effect is one that practice will cure.

7. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Joe,
    it's a fantastic lens. A bit heavy (vs. the 70-200VR). You will like the bokeh. Ahhh, it's pricey ....... :cry:
    Can't post pictures, as I am on the road. If you want to see some, let me know.

Have fun,
    Andy

8. Id say I was about 20 feet or so. from the bird.

I don't think it is that it hunts so much, but the depth of field is so small at f2 that any error is multiplied tremendously. I have noticed that Yves is shooting it around 3.2, 4, and 5.6 which really makes it sing, however hardly justifies the expenditure to get f2. It is much sharper than the 70-200VR I will say. Hopefully this week-end I can really put it through it's paces.

GenoP

9. Before you go to B&H, drop me an eMail and come by here. I have one and I am only 20 min from B&H in North Jersey.

GenoP

10. I appreciate the offer kind sir. :D

I'm looking at it for wedding ceremonies where I must shoot natural light. I'm used to the 70-200 VR's weight and I can't imagine what shooting at f/2 would do for my DOF, but at times like that, it's getting the shot that counts, and I think the 200/2 would get me those shots. So I'll be using it all over it's f-stop range.

I doubt that I'll drive to B&H, I get free shipping through the NAPP, and Delaware is sales tax free, so I'll probably just order it.

If we somehow arrange a tri-state meeting between some of us, I'd love to make arrangements to see it first hand. I'm in no rush to get one, I'll add a second D2x body and a 10.5mm first. Thanks for your input.

11. Joe,

Here are two samples from tonights night game.....It was the first chance I got to use this lens under these conditions and all I can say is .......

GenoP

Nikon D2h ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
    1/320s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso1600
    original.

Nikon D2h ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
    1/320s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso1600
    original.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Geno,

YOU BIG TEASE !!!!!!!!!!

13. Gale,

I've seen your photos look just as good! By the way I miss that 24-120VR, but I know it likes it's new home. I am surprized you let the 12-24 go.

Geno