1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Does anyone here use their phone for video calls with Skype

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by omarma, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Do you like it, does it work well?
    I'm thinking of upgrading my phone for this feature to do video calls with the grand kids. I wonder if it would be worth it.
    The kid don't have laptops to do it with, but they do have the right phones.

2. Bobkat

Bobkat

Aug 22, 2009
    USA
    I use skype all the time on my iphone4 with others who have android based phones and also for those who are at computers.

That said, the video quality of facetime is much better than skype and so if i'm video caling a friend who has another idevice then i use facetime over skype.

The nice thing about either jailbreaking or rooting your phone is that you can do video calls over 3G, and if you have an unlimited data plan or are on one of the new "4G" networks (LTE or WiMAX) then you can get some really good non-wifi video calls going.

3. Crash477

Crash477

Mar 25, 2011
    East TN
    I use skype on my iPod touch 4th Gen. It's nice!

4. Thanks guys. The verizon rep I talked to is trying to sell me on the Droid X, getting the price down to $100.

BTW...I don't know what jailbreaking or rooting is, but I'm sure that it's legal. :) 

5. I just did my first ever Skype call with my brother in India, last week on my iPhone4. Worked like a charm! I'm hooked.

6. Can't speak for Skype --But the DroidX is awesome!

PaulC

7. Skype is sooooooooo great!.I was visiting a village yesterday where they had a craftsmen market.A few years ago i send a Scout friend a few mini wooden shoes they use a slide on their scarf. A week or so ago she told me (on Skype) they are almost out of them.
    On the market i find a shop who makes them (by hand).Cause it was late morning for me, i know WI _7 hour would be a bit early,so i make a picture and send it with the message 'If you need a few let me know.I'm in town till 11am your time' A hour or so later i get the call,walk back to the shop,and she picks the ones she want.
    She hears and see me very good.Skyping while i'm in the subway is not as good as i hoped for.
    Only downside is that you got to get used to holding the phone in front of your face instead on your ear.

8. skype on the iphone 4 is fantastic...only downside is no bluetooth support, so unless you want to broadcast your conversation, you need a wired headset. not a big deal though. once they resolve that it will truly be a killer app in my opinion.

9. :biggrin: How far we have come....when we are disappointed at the quality of skyping on the subway :tongue::tongue::tongue: I love it.

10. She cant wait till next week.On Saturday i have a workshop at a Dutch Scout event with some 20 000 Scouts around me.She i so curious about how we do Scouting in Holland.Now thanks to Skype she can join the event.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.