1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Does anyone use a beanbag for portable tripod?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by bill-e, Aug 8, 2009.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi all,

I find myself needing to support my camera on various things, rocks, fence posts etc and I thought a beanbag would be useful. A quick google and sure enough they make some specifically for camera use.

If anyone uses one, can you respond with which one and what you like or don't like about it? Thanks.

They aren't expensive but I'd like to buy one only once :) 
    Thanks.

2. Plenty of 'em at B&H. Easy to make your own too...

If you travel a lot, find an empty bag you can fill on location with some sand or other filler, that way you're not hauling beans through the airport.

Good Luck!

Bill

3. Yeah, they're handy - my wife was sewing some "eye pillows" filled with flaxseed and other things for the olfactory senses, and I had her make one for a super-tele lens barrel. (She left the potpourri stuff out of that one - I think the grizzlies would have taken too much interest in me otherwise.)

Sean

4. I have one made out of a 7" length of old pant leg (gray corduroy) filled with lentils (we do live in the self-proclaimed lentil capital of the world!) that I've used for 20+ years. It's great for shooting out of the car--something I seemed to have given up when I sold my Sigma 150-500 some 10 years ago.

5. I use the Vertex Photo Molar Bean Bag and have filled mine with buckwheat hulls. I like these as they fit nicely over the window opening on the car door and very nicely support a D300/400 f2.8+TC combination. And they aren't the most expensive thing on the market either :wink: The Buckwheat hulls keep them fairly light, but still very sturdy. I also have a Kinesis which is quite nice as well.

6. Wow ive never heard of that nor even considered it. Thats a great idea though, may have to look into it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.