1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

does CA (Chromatic Aberration) even matter anymore ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by watsonD50, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Just curious quite a number of people/reviewers complain about CA, but when you process RAW files with Nikon Capture, it automatically removes (when turned on) CA and actually makes corrections for it resulting in a sharper image. I have tested this a few times with a JPEG vs. a RAW file and the results are pretty amazing. Photoshop CS3 Camera RAW has a CA filter, but unfortunately it only removes the color fringing. I know the D300 and D3 have this built in now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  2. That's a reason for me to start using Nikon NX!!! How do I turn this one on and how does it work?

3. FYI... it's "Aberration". And, the abbreviation for Chromatic Aberration, is CA. :wink:

4. fixed

sorry at work, so i have to type fast :wink:

5. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    I took a look at the link, and it is for the Apple version of Capture. Does anyone know if auto CA adjustments can be turned on on the PC version of Capture 1.3?

Thanks!

Morgan

6. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Bump! :smile: Any suggestions for a PC? Thanks!

7. It's already there under "Raw Adjustments".

The software (NX, CS, and in-camera) goes a long way toward correcting CA, but there's no substitution for a good lens. Find an image with a good amount of CA and do a before and after set with NX 1.3~2. Yup, CA gets reduced but parts of the image sometimes also looks a little softer after the CA correction.

Does looking at CA matter anymore? Just like an unsharp-mask isn't a solution for a soft lens, CA-correction isn't a solution for a lens with bad CA. Both help, but there's no substitution for quality.

8. jadog2

jadog2

Dec 18, 2007
    SF
    Yep
    CA auto mode is available for both Mac and PC on Capture NX.

If you had a D300 and shot RAW (I made a bunch of tests)... its very noticable how the photos clean up with Capture NX and CA set to auto.

jason

9. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    CA still robs the picture of some sharpness, and correcting for it won't bring that sharpness back. Also, bokeh CAs (longitudinal CAs) can't be corrected.

10. I think that CA does matter. The less CA there is in the first place, the more effective the software will be at removing it and retaining detail afterwards.

Still, I find with the latest bodies and recent pro glass, I've not seen a hint of CA in my NEFs run through CNX1.3.3/2.0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.