Does D2H meter differently than D200?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Chris_B, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Do the cameras meter differently? I just bought a D2H used and it feels like it meters similar scenes differently compared to my D200. It seems like it tends to expose shots "brighter" if that makes sense. It has been to Nikon for the meter repair already. I'll post some test shots later when I get a chance to set up a controlled test.

thanks,

Chris

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

Without going back and reading Phil's review over on DPR, I can't give you a quantitative answer, but from my experience, they are pretty close. I will say that the sensors in the two cameras do seem to have different sensitivity to details (if that is the correct term) at EV values above 230 on the histogram. I tried to under expose the D200 by about a 3rd of a stop because of this. I tried to push the D2H close to the right, so get the best noise performance. With the D2Hs, I try to get the exposure 'right' per the Ron Reznick approach, since it seems to have much better noise performance.

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Frank. I am in Tampa with my wife's family until tomorrow and need to get back home to look at the shots on my computer. With the D2H, I seem to blow a lot of highlights where as with the D200, the camera tends to lean toward the left part of the histogram. It is probably my inexperience with the new-to-me camera.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

That is weird. I'm having more of a problem under-exposing my D2Hs shots than over-exposing them. I think that I'm still looking at the histogram as I did with the D200, which as I mentioned, I tended under-expose slightly.

In the end, it probably is just a matter of getting used to the new equipment. Let us know how it goes.

5. Agreed. I have to put +1/2 stop on my D2H in matrix most of the time, the D200 I leave at 0.

Ming

6. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks guys. I need to go out and put a few hundred shots through the D2H to get used to it.

7. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Its how the camera is set to handle. I think the D2H like many cameras meters for shadows, which isnt good on the D2H's sensor, as its not as hot at pulling details out of the highlights. Where as the D200 meters for highlights more and gives deeps shadows. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

My D200 for example i usually have on matrix metering, and set to 0 - -0.3 EV exposure. My D1H when i set to matrix i set at -0.3 - -0.7EV exposure as you can pull the shodows but it clips harshly in highlights.

8. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I put a few shots through the camera today and tried to shake off my soccer cobwebs prior to the start of the season. While the LCD looks a lot more washed out, the histogram was predictable and didn't seem to over or under expose. More shots coming this weekend but I think I am getting the hang of it. Looking at the LCD is a little scary compared to my D200 though.

D2H 70-200VR ISO 200 1/1600 f2.8 0ev

9. BillRogers

BillRogers Guest

This is strictly my unscientific opinion, but I believe that the less expensive Nikon DSLRs tend to give exposures on the darker side, so that amateur shooters are less likely to blow the highlights. In other words, the professional-level cameras give more accurate exposures. I've read this many times on the internet, and when I moved from a D70 to a D200 I experienced the same thing.

This may all be an urban legend, but I think there's something to it.

10. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    The D2H's LCD is subpar and far below the resolution of the D70. The D2HS supposedly has a better one. Images look really bad on the D2H's LCD but they look fantastic out of the box.

I don't rely on the LCD at all though so this doesn't bother me personally, but I definitely can see it bothering others.

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    the D2H LCD is a bit too bright, even when it's dialed all the way down. there was a lot of griping about that when the D2H came out (along with "why are you using the LCD to check exposure"). you'll have to rely on the histogram to verify exposure.

ricky

12. mcdicky

mcdicky

Mar 10, 2007
    Vancouver
    i found out i have to make it half or one stop + to get the correct exp. i dono either is my camera or all the D2H are like that

13. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the confirmation on the D2H LCD. I am pretty new to this and looking at the D2H LCD was scary since I am used to the D200's LCD.