Does different cards render pictures differently?

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm not the most digitally technical person in the world. But somehow I imagined today that my Sandisk memory card rendered better colors than my Kingston card. Maybe I was just out in the sun too long.... :rolleyes:

The card or any other storage will not effect the picture at all. Just as copying the picture from one machine to another 100 times won't change it. Digital copies are perfect.

If you've been out in the sun too long Linda--just wait until you move to NC!!!!

Oh by the way, I think the quality of the electricity you use may affect image quality--for example, if the energy comes from coal or oil powered generation stations, the pictures are often murky. Hydro power makes for a certain softness, and nuclear power produces a glow that some folks like, while wind power is often the cause of blurry pictures.

Trust me, I have a Ph.D!:rolleyes::eek::tongue::biggrin::cool:

There is a slight possibility that one of your cards is bad. If the camera writes an "one" to the card but it records it as a "zero", an error occurs. If there are a lot of errors it might have an effect on the perceived color.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you've been out in the sun too long Linda--just wait until you move to NC!!!!

Oh by the way, I think the quality of the electricity you use may affect image quality--for example, if the energy comes from coal or oil powered generation stations, the pictures are often murky. Hydro power makes for a certain softness, and nuclear power produces a glow that some folks like, while wind power is often the cause of blurry pictures.

Trust me, I have a Ph.D!:rolleyes::eek::tongue::biggrin::cool:
lmbo!... you dork :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a slight possibility that one of your cards is bad. If the camera writes an "one" to the card but it records it as a "zero", an error occurs. If there are a lot of errors it might have an effect on the perceived color.
But then I would also notice it having some other issues, right?

That's technically possible, but any of the cards used in current cameras will have CRC checks to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen. If the card does start having errors of this type, the camera and/or computer will know and probably give an error on the screen that your card is starting to fail. It should NEVER happen that a bit is stored wrong without you knowing about it.

Even a data cd has a very large amount of extra data used for error correction to make sure it is 100% accurate with some scratches and data loss. The only real exception is an audio CD which doesn't guarantee 100% perfect data when scratches and things are present.

That's technically possible, but any of the cards used in current cameras will have CRC checks to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen. If the card does start having errors of this type, the camera and/or computer will know and probably give an error on the screen that your card is starting to fail. It should NEVER happen that a bit is stored wrong without you knowing about it.

Even a data cd has a very large amount of extra data used for error correction to make sure it is 100% accurate with some scratches and data loss. The only real exception is an audio CD which doesn't guarantee 100% perfect data when scratches and things are present.
Ooh, I dunno. I is an injunear, so it seems obvious to me that a memory card would work as you describe. But I talk to enough bean-counters to wonder if they don't try to pinch pennies by eliminating the error-checking ... I truly don't know. :confused:

One should be able to do a binary-compare on two files to see if any one bit is different. That is, if one is a nerd ... :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom