Does it happens to you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gilles, Jun 12, 2005.

1. You're out a part of the day taking picture and you finely make it home to see your shoot of the day and in looking at the picture on a large screens, you see through them of lot of picture opportunity that you did'nt see when you were there. Telling yourself "I wish i had seen those"

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    True for starters but that is a side skill that comes with time and experience over and above routine photography skills. Those are the shots that you will look for and find yourself discarding good ones along with the blown shots. Having an editor or other experienced person above you goes a long way in shortening the learning time to hone that skill. Not that everyone will ever have that opportunity. The X factor remains that you can't anticipate what the buying public/client will like. They will fool you every time. One technique that I use is to present a set of photos to a client and watch what they pick to use. Seems like common sense but to carry it further, their pick is the one that I'll usually convert to a gallery piece before others. I put that in the category of what did they see that I didn't see to overcome the X factor. Hope this is making sense :lol:

3. Larry I agree with you, when i am no sure about a photo i ask my sister who made her study in fine arts to have a look, her view often differ from mine.

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Exactly, and that is a good choice. It doesn't take another photographer to make an assessment. Gallery is the gallery owner that is not a photographer. Magazine is the art director that happens to be an excellent photographer. Their "art skills" round out a great process in your own learning curve. Works for me!

5. Larry one thing sure is that a gallery owner or an art director in a magazine know exactly what sells.