Does the animated png display in your browser?

Have been trying to produce a few animated images where I am not limited to the banding associated with gif animation. PNG is one way to go but I wonder what browsers support it. I know Firefox is ok but IE is not anyone care to comment on what you get using your browser?

As an example this gif (showing oog monitor) should be fine on all browsers
Monitor-gamut-blue-sky.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the same image as png (delay slightly longer)
Monitorgamutbluesky.png

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I didn't even know that PNG could support animation.

Here are my results. Windows 8.

Firefox 22.0: GIF OK, PNG OK.
IE 10: GIF OK, PNG NO.
Chrome Version 28.0.1500.72 m: GIF OK, PNG NO.
Safari 5.1.7: GIF OK, PNG NO.

So only Firefox supports it.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It should be possible to do better than that with GIF. Did you optimize using Save for Web? I'm wondering how well optimised the palette is.

There was supposed to be a 24 bit version of GIF. But I doubt anything supports that.

Learned something again. Animated PNG's. Who knew?

Photoshop is the last thing you want to use for animated GIF's, by the way. One of my coworkers left me with an ad that consisted of 3 frames, 150 kb in total. Challenge: our vendor would only allow 40 kB gifs as advertisements.

Using the trusted tool I have for that, GIF Moviegear, brought the 150 kB from Photoshop down to a mere 30 kB. Not sure if GIF Moviegear supports animated PNG's though.

JPS

On my iPad 2, I get the GIF animation as well on Firefox as on Chrome, but the PNG doesn't move on none of the two browsers !

Pity.....

:frown:
J-P.

These are the results I'm getting...

Firefox 22
Yes: Gif
Yes: PNG

Opera 12.16
Yes: PNG

IE 10
No: PNG

Google Version 28.0.1500.72 m
No: PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the confirmation. What a shame there seems so little support available for animated png

Richard, yes the only way to handle this in PS is SFW.

Lurker, thanks I do realise that there are other apps better at handling gif, it is just PS is so convenient. If I am going to be doing many more then I will investigate the app. you mentioned. In this case file size was not a consideration but trying to maintain some quality of the image data.

Mike, yes APNG is the app I used

It should be possible to do better than that with GIF. Did you optimize using Save for Web? I'm wondering how well optimised the palette is.
Thanks Richard, you are correct, looking again I realised how bad it is and found out that I had turned off dithering - DOH! :redface:

A little better now I think, not great but...
Monitor-gamut-blue-sky2.gif

Looks like the animated png is actually dead and not going to make a comeback. The reason according to the author of the following was technical politics between browser providers plus the fact that the PNG group rejected the idea as it competed with their own dead MNG format.

Who knows and what will happen with animated SVG's perhaps they will have the same success as Jpeg 2000.

Thanks to all for your input but it seems that I was flogging the proverbial horse with this one :biggrin:
Animated PNGs are dead and will never return.

2009 — 2013

In a world full of standard, grossly interoperable, literal open browser specifications in charge of every aspect of the standards body, and almost nothing but lazy, mentally ill, braindead and poo-flinging monkeys designing it, nothing as beautiful as APNG can survive without eccentric billionares who didn't show up and donate mountains of pure gold. APNGs never stood a chance in the first place, and while I would them bring back if I could, which I genuinely tried to, as promised, virtually nobody is interested in changing the world wide web for the better, and if you are out there somewhere, you're harder to find than Kirk Johnson. I'm purely writing this for anyone who might still think that APNGs are coming back, which they are definitely not. It's not possible. They were shunned for a series of political, browser-wars ego reasons. Because APNG was a Mozilla idea, and not required as part of an official standard, this quite likely kept rival browsers from adopting it, given that they wouldn't be able to claim the glory of inventing it or be the leader. Opera was the only non-Mozilla browser to adopt it, and with their recent suicide of their own Presto engine and announcment that they are moving to WebKit or a WebKit-derived engine(which powers Safari and Chrome browsers), it seems unlikely that the APNG support will survive to the next version of Opera. And it's not as if Opera support was that much of a gamechanger to begin with, given their modest market share... And then there was the rejection of APNG by the PNG group. Because it competed with the overly complex and virtually dead MNG format that was their idea, they found a petty technicality to declare that APNG breaks the PNG specification. Even though APNG was superior in every practical way to MNG, it recieved a rejection from the PNG group, branding it an outcast and further derailing its potential. APNG had fall-back-to-first-frame backwards-compatabilty, allowing it to show the first frame(but not the animation), even in browsers that didn't support it. APNG had an extremely low resource usage footprint, allowing browsers to add it with no noticable increase in filesize or performance hit, while MNG was bloated with many extra features that most people would never reasonably use. In summary, APNG was a lightweight image format, that would have taken very little to implement, which achieved what most users and webmasters wanted in an animated raster image(A better Animated GIF with full color and transparency support), that was killed by tech politics.

For Animated SVGs, however, the future looks more bright, with SVG adopted as an open standard and animation via CSS3 animations looking pretty sharp. They even have the ability to embed bitmaps, which could be used to get the animated raster image effect.

http://animatedsvg.com/

Latest threads

Top Bottom