Does the popup overheat? When using it as commander, D700 stops firing after a while

For some reason, whenever I do a lot of shooting with my popup open (and in use as a commander), the d700 inevitably stops firing for a while. I'll have to let it sit for a few seconds before it'll fire again.

What's interesting is that the camera will still focus, it simply won't fire. Pressing the shutter button does absolutely nothing. If I close the popup, it starts firing again right away, but open it back up and it nothing. I have to wait a while before it'll let me fire again.

This sounds like the flash could be overheating and waiting to cool down, but it's so tiny a flash I can't see how that's possible. Is that it, or is there something else at play here?

D700 manual page 187 says the shutter release may be disabled for a short pause, to protect the flash after the built-in flash has used for several shots.

If used as a Commander, the commander flash power level is very low. You can disable the stronger internal flash contribution then, by setting builtin flash mode to "- -" (disabled) in the commander menu. Probably no issue then?

Thanks for verifying. I don't have my manual handy and didn't think to search for a PDF online.

I've actually already got it set to "--" because I don't want it interfering with my shots. :(

The thing that bites the most is that it always waits until exactly the moment when the shoot is going like gangbusters before it cuts out on me. Probably because that's when it's firing the most, but still. It's terrible to have a shoot going so well and then I have to stop the model because my camera's being unresponsive.

Perhaps it's time to invest in an SU-800 or, better still, some PWs.

It is overheating when disabled and used as commander only? Wow... The D300 says same, and I often use it as commander, and have never seen that occur (but my frequency is probably not very high).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom