Does this work?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Gosia, pictured here, asked me to do a B&W rendition of this portrait shot I took of her. This is the (probably non-repeatable) combination of a standard B&W, and a sort of custom Sepiatone I made using channel mixer.
    The original pic:

original.

My B&W/Sepia combo with cropping:

original.

2. Steve:

No pictures coming up.

Gil

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    D@mn pbase! Try these

Original shot:
    [​IMG]
    B&W/Sepia combo with cropping:
    [​IMG]

4. Lex Talionis

Lex Talionis Guest

Gil, I sometimes get the little red X's too, but I've found if I refresh the page the images will load up just fine the 2nd time around.

Steve, I really like the colour photo, but the B/W version seems a little too harsh, especially the shadow her left nostril.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nice shot. I'd like to see the sepia tone a little warmer for this subject though.

6. Does it work? No, not for me. I scrolled up and down quickly so it would present in front of my eyes and after about five times, answer was still no. Not sure if it's the conversion to B&W but it's just not working with the blonde hair and pale skin tones. Try using a channel mixer first with different variations. It might be the hair isn't working.... The only word I can use to describe my feeling of it would be that the pic looks vacant... takes the life out of her face....

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thnx Lex, I see what you mean

I'll work on that.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thnx John,

but she is a pretty cold woman! :wink: I'll see about warming it up.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thaks Sandi,

This is why I ask. Never sure if an experiment is working or not. I did use Channel Mixer, but will go back to the drawing board, and start over again.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Steve, it depends on what you are going for. The sepia version conveys a cold and unmoving face - like a statue. The lighting is quite flat across her face, so when the color cues are removed, she looks flatter. It would be even more so if done in straight B&W rather than toned.

While I like this look, it does not have the warmth and vitality your photos often exhibit. By the way, you find the best models!

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Steve,

I prefer the color version...some in the b/w version is out of wack. It seems at though it could be warmer.

12. Both pictures are exactly the same, if it don't work in b/w, it won't do better in color. With the b/w you see more the defect than in the the color version. The same thing, a lot of artist hang their pictures upside down to see it everything is in good proportion that way they are not influence by the subject.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Look at her cheeks in the color version Gilles. The hilight is pale and unsaturated, as they round to the side of her head, they gain in color and saturation. This gives a round appearance to them. As there is no color in the monochrome version, this 3D cue is missing, making them look flatter.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;