1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Does this workflow make sense to you?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by SteveHo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SteveHo

SteveHo

May 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I really want to use Lightroom for all my work: importing, organizing, editing, etc. The problem is that my pictures look much better when I use ViewNX/CaptureNX, as much as I try I cannot get them to look as good in Lightroom.

Would it make sense to use ViewNX to view new pictures, cull the bad ones, fix any white balance and exposure problems (at least get them close to correct) and then convert them to .tifs to be imported into Lightroom?

2. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Culling bad images, and general fixes to WB and Exposure are naturals for LR. Maybe you should try some of the commonly available downloadable presets for the Develop Module to see if you can get loser to a post image you like from Nx. Seems silly to me to convert to larger Tiffs when LR can handle the NEF's with ease.

I can cull a shoot in very little time using LR and rarely leave LR for any of the post work. It's all done using presets and a few really useful plugins like LRMogrify and TTG SlideShows etc

3. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Hi there.. I wouldn't think that is the best approach although you could certainly do that. The beauty of Lightroom is the non-destructive edits and onestop shopping that you get. It isn't the fastest program in the world but I use it exclusively at this point for my RAW editing/gallery builder. However, all my DAM work is done in Idimager - by using DNG's I get the benefit of updated previews that are viewable in IDi.. and since DNG allows for embedded XMP, all LR instructions are kept intact without the need for sidecar files.

I actually purge my DB monthly since I do not use it for catalog purposes and this works quite well for me.

I hope this helps you as well!

4. SteveHo

SteveHo

May 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Certainly agree with all your statements and would like nothing more than to stay in LR the majority of the time.

Any suggestions on where I can find some of the better presets for LR?

5. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
  6. SteveHo

SteveHo

May 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks...I will check them out tonight.

7. SteveHo

SteveHo

May 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Well I tried the presets from OnOne last night. I still can't match the results I get with Capture NX. I may have to bite the bullet and live with the odd interface. Thanks alot for the responses.

8. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    I understand your frustration. I too am struggling with the same problem.

Much of the functionality in Lightroom appeals to me more than say U Point technology in NX. As an early adopter of Photoshop, I really like the combination of LR and CS3. Yet I must admit that photos look better in ViewNX and Capture NX 2.

I really don't know what to do. I have been going back and forth between these applications for a long time trying to make up my mind. In the end I think LR will win me over NX. We'll see.

9. mtan

mtan

May 26, 2006
    USA
    Depending on the volume of pictures you end up printing, you may want to try using LR as your DAM, and using CaptureNX to tweak the images that you intend to print.

Personally I use CS2 instead of CaptureNX, but since I print an order of magnitude less than what I'm viewing, I don't sweat the tool that I use to view as much as the tool I use to get prints.

10. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    I decided the best thing to do is live with the complex workflow: use Capture NX to save files in TIFF format; then make modifications in LR; make final changes in CS3E. The file conversion from NEF to TIFF is timeconsuming. Until Adobe improves its NEF import, there is no other way to get superb IQ in LR. Nikon will never improve View/Capture NX to where it is as good as LR and CS3E. They are a camera company without a large and devoted team of software engineers.

11. How I solved the NX Workflow Problem

I simply started only using NX lol.

Well I only do a few shots at a time so I don't face most of the issues bulk shooters face.

12. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I respect you decision, but humbly offer that it doesn't seem to make sense to me. To import in NX and convert everything to TIFF is time and memory consuming. You're bringing three apps into play when you could be using two, if not only one. LR is capable of all the DAM functions one could want and is a direct interface in CS3 for more particular post work. If you purchase Vivisa you can have the Control Point functionality in CS3 as well, without adding NX to the equation. It isn't cheap, but it rocks.

The Auto Sync option in LR's Develop Module will allow you to work batch style for anything done in that module, so large shoots are a breeze.

With the release of LR v2.0 imminent, you will have localized editing, pressure sensitivity for pen/tablet use and some other great improvements to what is already a great app. Add some presets to the Develop Module (i like Matt's Auto Preset for import, and the One Click WOW Presets to start the develop module rolling) and move out to CS3 for the more complex stuff. CS3 will save the new edited TIFF back to your LR catalog and stack it beside your original file. You'll everything in one place and will conserve a ton of memory by not converting everything to TIFF at the start of your workflow.

It seems to me you're adding steps and consuming resources that aren't necessary.

I use the above flow, with Elements in place of CS3, and use Q-Image (quite possibly the best print app that exists) for critical print work when I don't use a print service, and 99% of my work stays in Lightroom.

13. SteveHo

SteveHo

May 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I have spent more time in Lightroom and find that I can get closer to NX now though I still can't match it. So it looks like I will be using Lightroom. If Nikon would enhance ViewNX with some level of DAM capabilities I might switch back.

14. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Glad to hear!!

Save your pennies and try Vivisa!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.