does vr work with flash? if so, any pics!!

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by oldnslow, Apr 3, 2007.

1. oldnslow

oldnslow

Sep 23, 2006
    Oklahoma
    does vr work with flash, if so, when would you use it, and which lens would you get (18-200 or 24-120). New to the forum and thanks for the response!!

David

2. What type of photography do you shoot? subject matter... this will affect our answers....

3. Hi David, I believe the flash is fast enough to stop movement so the VR function has little help, unless someone else has an opinion.
    Pete

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi david-

i've used my 70-200mm VR with the SB-800 as fill light several times without any problems, but this is in daylight or in the shade. you shouldn't have a problem using VR at slow shutter speeds and firing the flash at the same time, but keep in mind that you'll still get subject motion if there's enough ambient light to overcome the flash. this can lead to some pretty neat effects.

ricky

5. oldnslow

oldnslow

Sep 23, 2006
    Oklahoma
    thanks for the posts so far, Let me give some more info.

the normal birthday parties(kids), family holidays, that sort of stuff.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I use my flash with the 80-400 vr...lol
    My poor 80-400 gets used for everything.
    Do ya think I need to give it a vacation once in awhile..lolol

7. Well first of all, vr controls camera shake not people movement. When using flash, shutter speed is limited to the sync speed of the camera. For my D2H that is 1/250th of a second. Flash is very fast but as has already been pointed out ambient light will still allow you to see movement with people if your shutter speed is too low. What I am trying to say is that your vr plays only a minor role in the whole scenario.

8. Yup, it works... Here's a pic taken with the 70-200 VR and SB-800.

115476862-L-1.

9. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I'm glad you guys answered this one - I just bought an SB-600 and my main lens is the 18-200VR.

Thanks.

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    AWESOME, Keith!! Beautiful lady, and a magnificent shot!

11. Thanks John!! :biggrin:

12. BillRogers

BillRogers Guest

The answers you have received are correct and I hope they are helpful.

The fact that you asked the question in the first place, however, indicates some misunderstanding of VR, flash, or both.

Your original question made me scratch my head. It was in the same category as "Can I wear shoes while talking on the telephone?" VR and flash really do not have a lot to do with each other.

If we can do anything further to help you, please post another question.