Does your child dislike having their picture taken?

Discussion in 'People' started by BostonRott, Jul 19, 2007.

1. It seems that for the past few months (maybe 3-4mos), Emilie has not been a big fan of having me take her picture. Of course, as a parent, this bums me out b/c I'd like to have pictures all through her younger years (she was 2 in early June).

I wondered if she disliked the flash, and have not used one for months. Have been trying to get shots with either the 35/2, 50/1.8 or the 85/1.8. I've even tried using the 300/4 on a few hikes (thinking maybe she didn't like me up so close). She just seems to find ways to avoid looking at the camera and I hate that all of our "activity" shots are of her side/back. :frown:

Any thoughts on activities (or photographer silliness suggestions) to help get a few shots?? She's a happy, upbeat, confident and outgoing child, so I don't think there's any inherent fear of the camera (or dislike of attention). Certainly I don't want to push if something is just unbearable for her, but this seems to be a new thing. :redface:

2. racerx1

racerx1

Jan 13, 2006
    northern NJ
    My kid became the same way after he turned about 5 or 6 yrs old. Once in a while I get him to be playful by having him make faces and just being goofy with hats or stuffed animals, etc. Usually you can get a couple of keepers where it is a natural smile or laughter.

Since my kid is a bit older (8 yrs old), I let him turn the tables and he can take pics of me being goofy.

Other times are at gatherings (BBQ, etc) where you can take casual shots with a telephoto.

I think it boils down to the kids becoming self-conscious and not knowing how to react. When they are little, they don't have that awareness.

3. Interesting thoughts, thank you! :smile: Perhaps it's time to find one of those "kid cameras" for her, so she can take pictures of Mommy! :biggrin:

4. Yeah, buy a Pez dispenser and sand the base to mount in the flash hotshoe. I've done this and it will attract a kid's attention - at least long enough to get a shot off!

5. HA! That's fantastic!! We just happen to have one floating around here (she loves it too!), now.....off to find the sand paper!! :biggrin: Wait'll my Dad sees my newest "photographic toy" in August. :tongue:

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David

No idea why, my kids where much older when I started taking pictures of them all the time. But for the kids I shoot, I fine swings and jungle gyms to be the best.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    You could, and I'm not joking, let her play with the D70. Put the 50mm on it with a cheap filter (if you don't have a cheap one let me know, I have one for the 50 1.8 sitting in a draw) and let her use it outside on lawn. I mean what is going to happen to it if she drops it from 2-3 feet onto the grass with that lite of a lens on it? Then she has a camera "just like mommy".

8. I think they go through phases. Make it fun and be sure to show them the image on your computer and make a fuss over them. It helps.

9. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    How old is she? 2? For the youngins, cutting the feet of a pez dispenser, so it fits on the hot shoe works charms.

EDIT: I just saw someone else posted that. Sorry.

10. Wish I had a solution for you. Mine are 8 and 5 and both will pose for me all day long, they actually say "Daddy, get you camera, take a picture of this!" I know it won't last forever, guess I gotta keep taking advantage of it while I can!

11. TVayos

TVayos Guest

Shooting kids is usually a challenge. I try and find something that makes mine really happy and get in the best position to capture the moment.

My 3 year old will not sit still or pose for the camera. If I say look at the camera he will look everywhere else.

I also try to shoot without flash.

12. Ah yes, that sounds familiar!!!

It's funny (well, not to me!), I can get her to smile, laugh and 'whatever' with certain words or actions, but try those same things with camera in hand and no smile or no face shots. :rolleyes:

13. Sometimes, sometimes not

I'm new to the forum but I have had this problem especially with my son. My children are 10, 11, & 11. Sometimes the girls love to endlessly model other times not. My son prefers taking pictures to being in pictures. One day my son asked me why I had so many pictures of our bird and I had to tell him that at least she doesn't run the other way when I pull out my camera.

Kristy

14. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    I don't have any kids, but I have nieces & nephews (& friends' kids). My brother's two boys -- one loves to pose and is very photogenic, the other just makes faces. My best friend's kids -- the her daughter loves to pose for me and is great at letting me catch her in candids as well, but her son is stiff and can barely smile if the camera is near him.

I think that some kids are hams, others are just self-conscious.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. I know your pain.

reluctant-model-sm.

16. Just Wait

Your problems is starting early. If they don't want to take pictures when the are 2 you are in trouble (like me) when they are 15. I can rarely get my 15 year old to take a picture anymore.

17. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Trick em!

My youngest boy loves to stick his tongue out at me when I try to take his picture. I have found that if I point the camera at him and tell him to make a face and hit the DOF button he will hear it and then has a cute grin on his face. Slam....goes the shutter then! That is fair isn't it??? Take care, Bill

18. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    All the time...except for my youngest son (9) who is smart enough to trade with me. His fav is "dad, we come back with a Baskin Robins ice cream after the next music class..." :redface:

19. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Here a couple things I have tried.

1) I talk to them and tell them to see if they can see my eye in the lens. Can they see me blink, etc. This only gets one type of shot usually very dramatic eyes.

2) In a pretty dark room - have them watch television or play video games. They have to look up. Pupils are typically very wide. Shooting thru an umbrella or using a black straw noot typically onlyy lights their face and limited background.

3) If you have a wireless remote. Setup the camera on a tripod and have the child start taking pictures. It gets mine pretty excited andnow they don't pay as much attention when I get the camera out.

I hope something helps.

20. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I like your style.:cool:

I don't have kids, but my dog likes to look at everything but the camera. And she will sit just long enough for me to get it framed and in focus, but not long enough to hit the shutter button. Well, at least when she isnt' asleep or watching TV on the couch.