Does your Dell desktop update alot

Real Name
Andrew
My dell updates queue in the notification bar and only install when I click on them to do so.

I don’t notice them more than maybe once a months?

it is an XPS 8000 series.

Last edited:
I found that most of the time, I can ignore most OEM hardware driver updates. The fixes are usually for hardware or issues that I do not have. Just read the details of the update.
I update the drivers maybe every quarter or longer, or if there IS a driver update that I need to install.

OS updates are a different matter, especially the security patches.

The problem with Windows update for me is, MS will install drivers as part of the update.
In my case a generic video driver that replaced the manufacturer's driver, my video resolution will drop, and then I have to reinstall the manufacturer's driver. This drove me nuts, until I finally figured out what the MS update was doing, and what I had to do to get my video back to the way it was/should be. ARGH It took me MONTHS to figure out the solution to the problem.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The problem with Windows update for me is, MS will install drivers as part of the update.
In my case a generic video driver that replaced the manufacturer's driver, my video resolution will drop, and then I have to reinstall the manufacturer's driver. This drove me nuts, until I finally figured out what the MS update was doing, and what I had to do to get my video back to the way it was/should be. ARGH It took me MONTHS to figure out the solution to the problem.
Please tell us how you solved it.

Please tell us how you solved it.
I researched and after MANY blind leads, I read about reinstalling the original video drivers, so I started looking around in Windows.
I go into the windows setup for the video and go to update driver, then I select the original AMD drivers from when I installed Win10.
And it worked. I got the higher resolution that the MS driver removed.

I've had trouble with some of the driver updates, for instance it said I needed one for my fingerprint reader. I did the update and now the fingerprint reader doesn't work. I called Dell technical support, but they couldn't help me fix it. No big deal. I only use the laptop at home and don't really need the security of the reader, but it took time and effort to work on it.

I had the same issues with several of my laptops, Win10 messed up some of the drivers.
As they were non essential laptops after days of research I either moved them back to windows 7 or moved them to Linux.
For the essential laptops I downloaded all the drivers from the Lenovo and HP sites for each model and keep them in my archives.

I've had trouble with some of the driver updates, for instance it said I needed one for my fingerprint reader. I did the update and now the fingerprint reader doesn't work. I called Dell technical support, but they couldn't help me fix it. No big deal. I only use the laptop at home and don't really need the security of the reader, but it took time and effort to work on it.
Maybe you now have to use your big toe instead of a fingerprint for your reader.

I trashed Windows as computer OS 6 years ago after enduring years of incessant "critical security updates" (meaning, at least in my mind, the Windows OS was/is a holey piece of crap that can never truly be "fixed").

The architecture of the Windows OS is deeply flawed in that it almost entirely relies on runtime loading and linking of 'blocks of code' in order to perform various sub-tasks of an application. Malware creators can lever this oversight by merely naming their trash with the same file name and Windows blindly loads and links it at run time the nuke your app, OS or exploit your personal information.

Apple on the other hand, being a derivative of UNIX OS uses only build time linking so there is no loading and linking of files at runtime. The only only way malware could possibly affect Apple computers is for a complete application to be loaded to reek it's havoc or act as a loader for some other software to 'do its thing" to your your system or personal data. This is extremely difficult to do because of the "permissions" that were built into UNIX from it's git-go (that control access to various pieces of the OS, OS functions, or applications.

Since going "Apple" I see an OS update only 3 or 4 times a year, on average; instead of 10 times a month when using Windows.

'Nuf said.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I trashed Windows as computer OS 6 years ago after enduring years of incessant "critical security updates" (meaning, at least in my mind, the Windows OS was/is a holey piece of crap that can never truly be "fixed").

The architecture of the Windows OS is deeply flawed in that it almost entirely relies on runtime loading and linking of 'blocks of code' in order to perform various sub-tasks of an application. Malware creators can lever this oversight by merely naming their trash with the same file name and Windows blindly loads and links it at run time the nuke your app, OS or exploit your personal information.

Apple on the other hand, being a derivative of UNIX OS uses only build time linking so there is no loading and linking of files at runtime. The only only way malware could possibly affect Apple computers is for a complete application to be loaded to reek it's havoc or act as a loader for some other software to 'do its thing" to your your system or personal data. This is extremely difficult to do because of the "permissions" that were built into UNIX from it's git-go (that control access to various pieces of the OS, OS functions, or applications.

Since going "Apple" I see an OS update only 3 or 4 times a year, on average; instead of 10 times a month when using Windows.

'Nuf said.
Things have moved on since then. Windows 10 is very stable, I have not seen a crash in many years now. I get one monthly Windows update, that is all. Then there are functional release updates, usually twice a year. Protection against malware has greatly improved. Many types of security risk nowadays are common to all platforms.

I like both macOS and Win 10, and they have become more alike over time, as good ideas are copied. I have both.

The macOS approach is flawed too, in that so much code is integrated into the OS release, instead of being in separate files which can provide long-term support. With macOS any OS update can mean that apps need changes too to keep working. The result is that older apps have to be updated to keep them running on new versions of macOS, and if you want to run the latest version of an app you may need a recent version of macOS to support it. Since you also need a computer to run that version of macOS this whole system conspires to force premature obsolescence on older computers that are perfectly serviceable. This doesn't matter if you can afford it.

In contrast the Windows approach means that I can run almost any app dating back as far as 1995 without difficulty. My Windows computers all last a minimum of 10 years and run all software new and old. 10 year old Macs can have perfectly good hardware but can become resticted to run old and eventually unsupported software.

I am not saying one approach is better that the other - each has its strengths and weaknesses. The macOS approach is cleaner and appeals to the purist in me. The Windows approach is more practical for the mass market, which is where it prevails.

(I have written this here in the PC section, to provide some balance to your "trashing" of Windows. I wouldn't go to the Apple section and "trash" Macs.)

And some of us, who moved in the opposite direction, are quite content. Thank you.

I've always built my own machines so I've never had to deal with Dell driver updates. I can see where that would be irritating. I've used ms windows from it's inception and am very happy with its stability. I come from an X-windows background (unix) from my work experience in an nmr spectroscopy laboratory. As a result I know what stability really is. MS windows really isn't that unstable imo. Unauthorized driver updates would be a problem for me however.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom