Does your Dell desktop update alot

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, frequent updates, but they don't seem to cause problems. As Randy said, these updates presumably give us up-to-date drivers.
thanks for being the only person who replied to my post, I guess windows vs mac is like nikon vs canon, some people can't help themselves :)
none of the updates has caused a problem, I was just curious if others were seeing this behaviour....at the most it's annoying

As I said, don't just mechanically install the updates, read what they are for, then decide if you NEED to install them.
  • Security updates, yes.
  • Application updates, maybe not.
  • Driver updates, maybe not.
    • But as I ran into, some driver updates may come via the OS update, so they sneak by.
  • Major OS updates, like the Win10 - 2004 update, I wait for a few months after the release for bugs to be found and ironed out.
    • I am not an early adopter. I had too many years on the bleeding edge.
    • Besides, the major Win10 OS updates take a LONG time to run (as in HOURS), if you do NOT have a SSD. So you need to plan for enough idle time to let it run.

I no longer own a Dell system but used Dell for years to manage my consulting business. IIRC there is an application that Dell provides to control the update process for drivers, BIOS, etc. This is installed with the factory installed software. Maybe a search on the Dell website will provide some enlightenment. BTW, I agree that the this versus that debates are pretty pointless.

ARGH
Windows did one of it's auto updates on that PC, and installed the lower rez MS video driver.
So I had to go in and reinstall the VENDOR's driver . . . again.
This has become a pain to do. But at least I now know what I have to do, to get it back to normal.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
ARGH
Windows did one of it's auto updates on that PC, and installed the lower rez MS video driver.
So I had to go in and reinstall the VENDOR's driver . . . again.
This has become a pain to do. But at least I now know what I have to do, to get it back to normal.
It's odd that you have this problem.
I have a similar situation. I can delete all drivers for the card and Windows will install its own driver. Then I can install a later driver from the manufacturer, and Windows will leave it alone. So I never have a problem.
I'm wondering if you have checked the date and version of the Windows driver and compared it to the date and version of the manufacturer driver? Is the Windows driver more recent perhaps?
What is the resolution in pixels of your display, and what does the Windows driver give you?
What is the video card?

It's odd that you have this problem.
I have a similar situation. I can delete all drivers for the card and Windows will install its own driver. Then I can install a later driver from the manufacturer, and Windows will leave it alone. So I never have a problem.
I'm wondering if you have checked the date and version of the Windows driver and compared it to the date and version of the manufacturer driver? Is the Windows driver more recent perhaps?
What is the resolution in pixels of your display, and what does the Windows driver give you?
What is the video card?
The MS update drive is newer than the manufacturer's driver. I think that is why it is replacing the older driver.
Monitor and the old mfg driver will do 1920x1200.
The MS update will drop down to 1680x1050.
integrated video = ATI Raedon 3000

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The MS update drive is newer than the manufacturer's driver. I think that is why it is replacing the older driver.
Monitor and the old mfg driver will do 1920x1200.
The MS update will drop down to 1680x1050.
integrated video = ATI Raedon 3000
So the explanation is that your ancient? video card has had no new AMD driver added for ages, and Microsoft installs their driver as it is more recent.
Can't you set the MS driver to 1920x1200 in the advanced video settings?

So the explanation is that your ancient? video card has had no new AMD driver added for ages, and Microsoft installs their driver as it is more recent.
Can't you set the MS driver to 1920x1200 in the advanced video settings?
That is the problem.
The 1920x1200 option does NOT exist in the MS driver. MS dropped that resolution.
So I was forced to use the old mfg driver to get the max screen resolution.

And yes, I was almost going to get a new video card, until I figured out that by reinstalling the old driver, I would get the 1920x1200 resolution.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
That is the problem.
The 1920x1200 option does NOT exist in the MS driver. MS dropped that resolution.
So I was forced to use the old mfg driver to get the max screen resolution.

And yes, I was almost going to get a new video card, until I figured out that by reinstalling the old driver, I would get the 1920x1200 resolution.
You could get almost any card, even secondhand, and that would fix it quite cheaply. I appreciate how annoying it is, I would find it infuriating and get a new card.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom