1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured DOF

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Randy, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    p2684609525-5.
    NIKON D4    ---    500mm    f/4.5    1/500s    ISO 1600

p2688730558-5.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. A narrow band to say the least. The bird, the approach and the colours say soft…..the image is sharp. Opposites come together to create something special.

3. Nice! I really love this shot! The soft colors and the narrow depth of field really work for me.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" Beagle Approved!!!!" - Georgie Beagle

4. Very nice contrasts (and similarities.)

5. dof? There isn't any!! :D 
    Extremely well done Randy!

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Nicely done, Randy!

7. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Superb!
    I have never shot a 500mm but have plans to rent the 500 e FL for Costa Rica next month and am very much hoping that I may return home with some photographs as beautiful as your pigeon>

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thanks Brian
    Thanks Ann, the 500 is great in Costa Rica, way easier to handle and the f/4 and 500 really help with so many small birds in dark places
    thanks Karen
    thanks Nick
    thanks Alan
    thanks Alexis and Georgie

9. spot on............

10. Like the soft pastel colors.

11. Michael T

Michael T

Mar 14, 2017
    The High Plains
    Michael
    Really nice shot Randy! I wish the birds tail didn't extend out of the frame. There is a dust spec in the upper right corner.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Been contemplating another bird thread to feature, ( so many great threads, and it is our most popular forum) so I thought about your Bosque series, the Caracara shots, etc etc, any nmber of shots from others here, Pacific NW stuff etc.... but this shot, won me over.

Superb image, great symmetry and mirroring coupled with the soft grace. Flaws, sure a minor one maybe, but it is a special image, different and unique!

Bravo, featured.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  13. This bird photo really is something special. The colors, dof, reflection, all just make it superb.

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I couldn't resist

p2688730558-5.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Charming photo, just goes to prove, beautiful images can indeed be made from common subjects! Top job Randy.
    tony

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thanks Darrell
    thanks Tony
    thanks
    thanks Wade, my 1st
    thanks Michael...that did bug me so now it's gone
    thx Gordon
    thx Bob

17. Excellent picture...I held off on commenting until I saw the second photo. I much prefer the latest version of this picture...with the frame not cutting off such a small portion of the bird. I think the composition could have gone either way--either a tighter crop or the wider crop (second version).

One nitpick...I would still clone out the sensor dust spot in the upper right segment of the frame. The sensor must be getting a bit dirty if a dust spot shows using such a narrow aperture!

Glenn

18. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Thx Glenn

19. jlcastano

jlcastano

Aug 27, 2013
    Spain
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.