Dog action in the garden and a portrait

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by tojor, Jun 30, 2007.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I've been trying out my new 80-200 f/2.8 AF-ED. Not totally satishfied with it. I think it backfocuses. Maybe I should save for a 70-200 VR.

All taken with the 80-200.

It's not easy to follow the dogs with the camera as it is not easy to predict their moving patterns.

original.

original.

original.

A single portrait
    original.

2. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

Great! Love the movement but also the portrait is great.
    For many years I did a dog sledge tour for a week in Sweden. And from that moment I LOVE ALL DOES KIND OFF DOGS.

Great shots, great dogs!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Boy they love to run:>)))

Beautiful images. You did great

4. Hi Torben,

They are all great, as usual, but #3 is the best for me, with one dog running straight at you with such a happy face, and the 2 others part of the bokeh.

You're right that it's quite difficult to take good focused images of running dogs. The 70-200/VR wouldn't do any better, I don't think. I have one and have seldom been able to capture my dog running at me: too short a run is part of the problem, too...

Btw, I just love seeing these posts of yours. I think your dogs are very photogenic and you do know how to take great pics of them! :smile:

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Gastheer. I spend several weeks in Sweden each winter sledding with my dogs.

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Gale. Yes they do love to run but they also love just lie in your lap and be petted. :smile:

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Phillippe. I agree with you on #3. Thanks for your kind words. I get a lot of practice. :smile:

8. Torben, nice series of your beautiful dogs. The rear-end collision in #1 looks funny :wink:
    The portrait looks very well, I don't see any obvious backfocussing in it.

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Daniel. That's what I mean about upredictable moving pattern. I thought that looked funny too. :smile
    The portrait came out alright. But with other shots I see it.

10. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Torben, Great photos I also Laughed at #1. The portait is nice and the dogs look happy as can be.

11. I use a 80-200 for all my dog agility shots and I find that it does a fantastic job. Keep practicing and you will be very happy with that lens. All of your shots look pretty nice to me. The 3rd shot is very nice and the portrait looks good too. I never have been disappointed with the sharpness this lens can deliver.

12. First one is a hoot! But #3 is my favorite. Bundles of energy! Hope the lens gets worked out for you.

13. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Troy. I apreciate your comment.

Thanks Rich. I'll play with it a little more and see how i performs.

Thanks David. They do have a lot energy to burn. Thankfully it only last for a few minutes and then they settle down. I always try new lenses on my dogs and see how much detail they capture. I'll give it another shot.

14. Hi Torben...

Great set of shots, but I guess I'm a bit bias as I think these guys are your best friends....

Pity about your 80-200, why don't you do a test on a stationary object to test if it is back focusing. Can you go back to where you got it from and have it replaced if it is back-focusing, or better still, can you get Nikon to fine tune it for you..???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  15. more great shots of your beautiful animals. I think you did very well.
    this is not an easy task of shooting.

16. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks for comment Wally. Yes the are great friends and always follow me around in the house and the garden.

Then funny thing is that it seems to perform better on my D50 than on the D80. I will try with some stationary objects. I might take it to Nikon for tuning. They are only an hours drive away. Actually I don't think it's as sharp as the cheap 55-200 and it should be.

Shot with the D50. Second shot in a series of 4. About 50% crop.

original.

17. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Dave. Also one of the most difficult thinks with the white dogs is avoiding blown highlights, sometimes almost impossible.