1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dog Agility: The Eyes Have "It"

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by RKnecht, Sep 22, 2008.

1. As with photographing "normal" sports, eye contact with the player(s) can really make the shot. With the dogs. it's the same idea. Grab their eyes and the shot really takes on a new meaning. Here is a small sample of last weekend's show. It wasn't easy picking a few shots from the 2000+ shots I took between Saturday and Sunday, but I managed:biggrin:

Since the D3 is out for repair, I used the D2x and the 70-200 VR with and without the 1.4 TC. I forgot how well the D2x handled these fast moving dogs. On to the pooches:

378147954_gLVyh-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

378149963_tZNtH-XL.jpg

378150662_cfuVM-XL.jpg

378151491_uhVKP-XL.jpg

378150964_w72Ei-XL.jpg

Oh, and I didn't forget the "rasta dog", it wasn't there this weekend:Teeth:

2. Your backside must be sore from getting down to such a low perspective, well worth it though, No. 2 my fav

3. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    those are fantastic you can totally see the focus in their eyes!

4. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Rich ... do you sell these ? ... im curious how well they sell, my buddy said people are usually a lot more willing to buy photos of there pets over family members/kids ... i'd be curious to hear your thoughts

5. Yes, all of these are for sale. I am the official show photographer at these events. I have a tent, laptops, etc. I print thumbnails on site and people can view full size images on my laptops. Most of my orders are from on-line purchases, but I do take orders at the show as well.

I've been pretty busy these last few weeks, with a show every weekend. I average about 2000 shots a weekend. I then "weed out" the shots I don't like, and then resize and upload to my site.It isn't uncommon for my site to top 300,000 hits a month when I am doing these shows.

This fall is the first time I went at this full time. I've been REALLY busy and I am already booking my time for next May. I want to venture into kids sports next. We'll see how that goes.

6. I have a very low chair I use to allow me to shoot at the dog's level. I also use a monopod to support the camera/lens. Although it isn't all that heavy, I am usually shooting from 8 AM until ~ 5 PM each day. This, as you mentioned, really makes the difference. Shooting "down" on the dogs is less desirable IMO.

7. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I'm sure I'm speaking for the everyone else, if you shoot kids, like you do dogs,

STAY OUT OF MY CITY!!

:biggrin:

8. Rich great job on these I really liek #2 and #1.
    Hey if you ever need and hand let me know

9. Jim, this made me laugh. Too funny. I am sure kids are a whole new ball game (pun intended) :biggrin:

10. whoa...i think that dog just jumped out of the lcd....
    you are sooo good at these !

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    i agree they are excellent, do you AF or MF, looks to me like there are defined action points

12. DRGSin

DRGSin

Nov 29, 2007
    Indiana
    Incredible shots!

13. Nice set Rich ...

Let me know when you need some help, I'd love to give this a shot!

Gary

14. I would think shooting kid's sports would be so much easier! These agility dogs are greased lightening and Rich you capture them so well. And you must be in great shape to shoot from 8-5 then have to go home and process all the shots. Plus downloading shots to computer for people to view at the show. Takes a lot of organization.

15. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Rich - Just excellent!

I just got involved in Agility with Professor Higgins, a 14 month old English Springer. He could be a champion according to our trainer....only I'm not sure I want to get serious about competing. Professor has it all - focus, smarts, desire, style.

Oops - Professor just woke up and saw your photos! He went crazy! He just howled and talked at the computer screen!

Sounded like "I can do that!" He's defintely likes your photos, too! What a hoot! :biggrin:

Anyway, I'd love to capture some shots even half this good. If you don't mind, could you share your camera settings so I can at least started in the right direction? PM me if you'd like.

16. I use C-AF on all my shots. On both the D2x and D3, I use dynamic area AF and the AF-On button. To make it a little easier on the camera, I will pre-focus on a certain part of an obstacle and wait for the dog to appear. Timing is so important with these shots. You also have to be a good judge on how high the dog will be at a given time, like the jump and tire shots.

17. DebbieZ

DebbieZ

Feb 27, 2007
    Oregon
    Lens Question

Rich, I just went to your site and looked at your galleries. Awesome shots of dogs! I shoot a lot of dogs and I know how difficult agility is! Other than your 70-200, which lenses do you find yourself relying on for dog photography? I am itching to pick up a new one or so, but can't decide what would be the most useful. I might add that I shoot all sorts of dog events, but am still in the learning stages and hoping to improve! LOL Actually I bought the 70-200 and D300 based on some advice that you gave me well over a year ago!

DebbieZ

18. Very cool Rich! Too bad "rasta dog" wasn't part of the show. :biggrin:

I'll be interested to see what happens with the D3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.