Dog Bribery

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Terri French, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Every time I get the camera out, my schnauzer hides from me. Yesterday, I was experimenting with my camera, playing with shutter settings, and wanted to see if I could capture her running. I bribed her with a treat and she came running.

This was taken with my D70 and 70-300 G lens. I am beginning to research other longer zooms, but this will have to do for a while. Anyone have a good 80-200 they want to sell? :D

I'm sure to you great photographers this isn't that great--but it is my best result in shooting a moving target so far.

As always, I love advice and criticism.

2. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Terri
    This is quite good. Dogs are very difficult to shoot actually, they can move quickly and unpredictably, and properly exposing the coat in outdoor lighting requires practice.

Do you see how you got the picture just as the dog ran into shadow. This is a better place when outside to avoid blowing highlights-

For running dogs, try shutter priority mode, with a speed of at least 1/250, but more likely 1/320-500 to be certain. Sometimes at 1/250 I can get lucky and get the face and eyes sharp, but still have the slightest motion in the fur along the feet, which makes the photo look really dynamic, but often leads to blown shots for me.

Your background is nicely out of focus, which is good because it's a chain link fence back there I think.

I have someone stand about 50 feet or more away from me with the dog's attention and a ball, and throw it towards where I am sitting on the ground. Depending on how high the dog bounds whne he runs you can sometimes get pictures with all four feet in the air, which I really like the look of.

This puppy I shot at 1/250 and that was probably a bit too slow. I also had to crop too much, and in Manhattan we had to use a concrete dog run. All in all, I like your photo better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nice job Terri

I'd rather shoot wiggly kids than dogs, although I've done a lot of dog shooting to support dog park campaigns. The low angle works incredibly well for dogs of all sizes - they look so much better from their own level than they do from ours. Unfortunately, I've done this so much now that when I get down low my dogs come running to me before I can even get the camera up to my face. I sometimes just hold the camera down and trust in autofocus and my ability to get the framing right by instinct.

And bribery? I think not. You're just speaking in a language dogs understand. Just like Eskimos have dozens of words for snow, I'll bet dogs have dozens of words for food.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Twig and Ednaz

Thank you for your comments. I guess I got lucky with this one. I didn't realize that I should try and take the picture in the shade. It just happened that way. Also, I set my shutter at 1/500. It seemed to work ok.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Terri ya did great..

not sure I would shoot any slower than that. :>)) Maybe higher speed..

Try several and see what turns out best...

Great shot :>))

6. I think that's an excellent picture; I would be proud of it.

I'm sure dogs are a lot harder to capture than kids, but I found the "sports" mode on the D70 helps in these situations. I was able to capture my grandkids running across the yard (much slower than dogs) such as:

[​IMG]

Also remember the rule of thumb that the shutter speed should be at least as fast as 1/fl, where fl= focal length, somewhere between 70 and 300 in your case. 1/500 was obviously a good choice.

7. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Well Terri, shade isn;t necessary, just a lot easier.
    In the sun you can use a higher shutter speed, but the hard light isn;t too appealing, it washes out the more subtle variations in the coat.

If you have a flash, the next step is to use that as a fill light to get some nice catch lights in the eyes.

Though, as I said, I think your picture is already quite good

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Terri,

I wouldn't apologize at all for this shot. It is quite good.

9. I agree with Frank. Thisis a really nice shot of a difficult subject in difficult light. Well done!