Dog in Flight <latest edits>

One of my favorite photographs is one that I captured of my brother's miniature dachshund running in his backyard. The image was captured 12 years ago with my D700 and then cropped significantly.

This morning, I tried editing the RAW file from scratch. Additionally, I applied three of my Topaz plug-ins: DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI and Gigapixel AI.

After running the picture through the various plug-ins, I ended up with a photograph that was cleaner and sharper than the original--as well as four times larger (now more than 8,000 pixels across) than the original!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My only complaint is that the Topaz plug-ins (particularly sharpen and denoise) are taking a long time to load from Photoshop. I'm not sure why since my computer is relatively new and powerful and has no issues with any other plug-ins (such as the Nik ones).

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Superb! Even better than the original! BTW - I still have your calling card with this image! LOL!

My D850 images normally take only about 10-15 seconds to load into a Topaz plug in. First Topaz creates a composite layer of the PS file, then opens the plug -in and the preset filters. How long is your machine taking?

Superb! Even better than the original! BTW - I still have your calling card with this image! LOL!

My D850 images normally take only about 10-15 seconds to load into a Topaz plug in. First Topaz creates a composite layer of the PS file, then opens the plug -in and the preset filters. How long is your machine taking?
Thanks Karen...

I'm not sure if it's because I am opening these plug-ins for the first time, but it took a good two or three minutes to open one image in DeNoise. Of course, that's not acceptable!

Glenn

These plugins can be slow, but not 2-3 minutes for denoise.
Topaz sharpen ai can take a minute or more on a big file, at least on my machine- which flies on everything else.
So unfortunately, I save these slow plugins for images I am really going to use and don't mind the time.
Otherwise I use different ones, like focus magic, which are a lot faster
That is a great image!
gary

These plugins can be slow, but not 2-3 minutes for denoise.
Topaz sharpen ai can take a minute or more on a big file, at least on my machine- which flies on everything else.
So unfortunately, I save these slow plugins for images I am really going to use and don't mind the time.
Otherwise I use different ones, like focus magic, which are a lot faster
That is a great image!
gary
Thanks Gary...yes, at 2-3 minutes I will only apply it for my most important files. I am hoping that time will improve as my computer is fast when processing nearly anything else.

Glenn

Great photo, Glenn! I love the expression, action and shallow DOF.

Are you satisfied with the color temp on this photo? I'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now, but I am detecting a bit of a green cast to the pup which could be corrected. I see this all the time with my small cream colored dog on our grass. It's the color cast from the green grass, but it can be carefully corrected with your skills.

Nice one, Glenn.
Thanks Dan
Great photo, Glenn! I love the expression, action and shallow DOF.

Are you satisfied with the color temp on this photo? I'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now, but I am detecting a bit of a green cast to the pup which could be corrected. I see this all the time with my small cream colored dog on our grass. It's the color cast from the green grass, but it can be carefully corrected with your skills.
Thank you, Mitch...I only see a green cast underneath his front leg. I checked the color sampler in Photoshop and it looks like the whitish fur on the dog has a blue cast. I can easily correct this...and I think it looks better with the color cast removed. If you get a chance to view the photo on a calibrated monitor and still see a green cast, please let me know. Thanks!
Great! Nothing else to say.
Thank you, Allan
That is a great shot Glenn.
Thanks Louis

Glenn

This is a great one Glenn. New processing technology is amazing.
Thank you, Phil
Wow, what a great capture Glenn.
Perfect shots.
Well done.🐕
Thank you!
Wow! Capturing him within that narrow depth of focus really made a great shot exceptional. I love the dogs expression and ears, one up and one down.
Thanks Miriam...the 300mm at 2.8 certainly led to a narrow depth of focus.
Great shot! I would love to see that as a giant wall mural in an office or lobby.

--Ken
Thanks Ken...with Gigapixel AI, the picture should now be suitable for printing at much larger sizes.

Glenn

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Had a note in my box this morning to feature this image. This image I remember so well when you first posted it back in the day.

wonderful return with new software. Lifetime capture.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom