Dog Show - Any Tips/Info ?

All

I have just gotten a new puppy and am heading to a dog show at the weekend to see some older versions of my dog.

Anyway, i'm hoping to get a few shots of the dog's as they go through their paces, a few action shots and some portraits, etc

I'm uncertain as to whether the show will be inside or outside, but if it is outside then I expect rain. I have seem some fantastic pictures of dog's on the forums and wondered if anyone had any tips for some good shots. Please make them as basic as you can as I'm still learning.

Here is a couple of shot's of Mac, my Hungarian Vizsla:

Mac in his crate
5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mac is far right - 14 weeks old, i'm not in it as I was taking the snap.

14.jpg

The rest are all of Mac in my front garden
59.jpg

79.jpg

83.jpg

85.jpg

124.jpg

Mod's please feel free to move this post if its not in the correct place and accept my apologies. wasn't sure where to post it

In the US, dog shows will proceed despite the rain, unless it's truly dangerous to do so (i.e. lightening).

Most people who want pictures of their dogs want the dog looking good (i.e. topline straight, legs and feet all straight and facing forward), and like to see 3/4 profiles and head shots.

You're best to shoot down at the level of the dog. If light eye color is a bad thing in a breed, never shoot the dog looking into bright sun.

Go, have fun and enjoy!!! :biggrin:

You got a very beautiful dog. Congratulations.

At a dog show the handlers will stack the dog for the judge to be able to evaluate the dog. Some handlers are very good to show dogs so you should be able to get some good shots from the side of the dog. Remember that it's important to see the dogs face. Also with portraits it's important that the eyes are sharp. If you have a zoom lens up to 200mm that would be perfect.

Those are some of my shots from last year. They are not great but it will give you an idea.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

I shoot dog agility. I think a few basic tips can be used at confirmation shows as well as agility shows. First, get on their level. Looking down at the dog is less than desireable. Second is eye contact. Good eye contact makes the shot. And last is lighting. For most dogs I don't need to adjust exposure comp, but for white dogs in bright light, I like to stop it down a bit to preserve detail. Below is a good example of eye contact.

147957533-L-1.jpg

Feel free to look at my album for other types of dogs. BTW, great looking dog.

Latest threads

Top Bottom