Dogs And Giving Them Cooked Bones

I know there a lot of you dog lovers here and I just thought I'd share an experience my wife and I had with our Chocolate Lab several years ago. I BBQ'd some St Louis ribs on the grill. My wife decided to give our Lab a very small bone from the batch. He chewed on it until nothing was left. For days afterward he was having problems with his bowel movements. Wimpering while he was trying to go. Obviously in a lot of pain. Time for a trip to the Vet. After some xrays the Vet found a small bone fragment fortunately near the end of the intestinal tract. The Dr was able to remove it fairly easily and problem solved. That's when we received our education on never giving a dog a cooked bones. Only raw and only certain ones. Check with your Vet. Just thought I'd pass this along. I'm not sure if it applies to other animals as well but if you're not sure, ask your Vet. This experience could have been a lot worse possibly requiring thousands of dollars worth of surgery.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Yep. I've never given our dogs a bone, although I understand that large bones from the market might be OK. But I've just erred on the safe side......no bones.

Yep. I've never given our dogs a bone, although I understand that large bones from the market might be OK. But I've just erred on the safe side......no bones.
I think the large uncooked bones from your butcher are probably OK.
Wise to check with the DR. first.

A nice warning/reminder. It depends on the type of bone and on the dog. Some can gnaw on a bone for days and never remove more than a few chips. Others will crunch the same bone into large, sharp splinters and swallow them. And some will just swallow them whole :( It's not worth the risk. It's up to us to resist those big brown eyes and just say no :)

Had a lot of dogs in my life and they have all enjoyed bones. Depending on their size either chicken wings, chicken drumsticks or Turkey drumsticks. Just never give a dog a bone that's been "man made" ie cut up by a butchers bandsaw like a T bone or chop etc.

All our dogs have always had perfectly white healthy teeth with no tartar and no bad breath.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Had a lot of dogs in my life and they have all enjoyed bones. Depending on their size either chicken wings, chicken drumsticks or Turkey drumsticks. Just never give a dog a bone that's been "man made" ie cut up by a butchers bandsaw like a T bone or chop etc.

All our dogs have always had perfectly white healthy teeth with no tartar and no bad breath.
Glad you've not had a problem, but definitely not recommended by veteranarians. Slivers of bone can tear up a dog's intestines, cause infection, etc.

Who's removed all the bones from wild dogs meals for the last million+ years?
My guess is that the wild dogs and other wild carnivores instinctively know how to deal with the bones they chew on. The advice given by veterinarians mentioned in this thread applies to domesticated dogs. It's reasonable that they and their human caregivers generally don't take necessary care when dealing with bones.

Last edited:
Who cooked the bones for those dogs? :) I think the main issue is the cooking which makes the bones brittle and more subject to splintering when the dogs crunch them.
I think the thread had morphed from just not giving cooked bones (which is a definite no no) to flat out statements that dogs should never be given raw bones under any circumstances.

Raw bones are how dogs (wild or domesticated) clean the tartar and plaque off their teeth. Our dogs aren't supposed to have bad breath. Dental disease is one of the most rampant health destroyers of companion dogs and can potentially impact all of your dogs major organs - heart, kidney, liver, lungs etc

Good dental hygiene for dogs is the #1 way of extending their life.

We give our dogs Grenies as a treat.
One a day.
Before Greenies we had our Lab anesthesized and a thorough teeth clean.
They look great and have stayed great.
We thought our chihuahua / dachsund mix would need the same procedure as his teeth were badly stained.
After a few months on Greenies they really cleaned up.
Our vet says no need to clean. Greenies are doing the job.

Just 3 things I will say about bones...

1. NEVER, NEVER give dogs cooked bones, only raw bones. Cooked bones can splinter and cause a blockage or even more serious damage.
2. Never give them small ones that they can swallow whole which can either choke them or cause a blockage in their bowels...
3. Dog's should always be supervised when their eating bones & when they've chewed them to a small size, you should then throw them away. For the same reason stated above...

This goes for rawhide bones or chews as well. They are a choking risk when they become small.
Actually even thought this is progressing a little, NEVER, NEVER give your dog Raw Hide Bones as these are the deadliest treat because of how they are made, in fact don't give any of your pets anything that comes from China as they don't have any regulation on how pet food / treat are made...

Deadly Chews_2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Georgie prefers steaks without bones, like New York strip, and filet mignon. For chicken, she really likes butter chicken or a nicely prepared free range chicken breast. No bones for her.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"life is short, eat well! and always pair an excellent meal with a fine wine..." - Georgie Beagle

Georgie prefers steaks without bones, like New York strip, and filet mignon. For chicken, she really likes butter chicken or a nicely prepared free range chicken breast. No bones for her.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"life is short, eat well! and always pair an excellent meal with a fine wine..." - Georgie Beagle
How does Georgie keep her teeth clean?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom