Dogs and their friend

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sommer, Aug 8, 2005.

1. I've posted pictures of my puppy here but not my 2 older dogs. They're all sooooo black that I have trouble photographing them well, and each dog's fur reflects light in different ways (one totally absorbs it, one totally reflects it and the other is in between!). So separate shots are all I have!

This is Mort, who is 12.5 years old. He's grown pretty intolerant of the extreme heat and cold in his old age, so this is about as much activity as we'll see from him until fall rolls around, LOL! His fur is still a little orange from his peroxide bath a couple of weeks ago (gotta love skunks!);) He's our grumpy old guy, and he's always been that way, and we love him for it! He was our first "baby" and always will be....we've had him since he was 5 weeks old.

Taken with the D70, 50mm f/1.8D lens at f/11 and 1/15 handheld
    32100933_a0e09d53e4_o.

This is Dotty, who is 11.5 years old. She's the gentlest, most patient dog in the world. She's helped several neighborhood children conquer their fear of dogs over the years. She has pretty bad arthritis in one shoulder, but it doesn't stop her from getting around...we all just go a little slower so she can keep up with us!

Taken with the D70, 50mm f/1.8D lens at f/11 and 1/100
    32100932_9ef3b3005d_o.

And here again is Trixie, who will be 2 years old on Friday. She's the sweetest little dog we've ever had (and at 60 pounds, the only one I can lift and carry around, LOL!) She adopted this log from our woodpile when we brought her home from the rescue at 6 weeks, and she's played with it ever since!

D70, 70-300mmG lens at 190mm, f/4.8 and 1/500 handheld
    32094110_dea4ab5b24_o.

And finally, the dogs' best buddy! This is one of at least 3 baby squirrels who have been entertaining us with their antics this summer! They're incredibly vocal and so much fun to watch as they chase each other through the trees!

D70, 70-300mmG lens at 220mm, f/8 and 1/20 handheld
    32094111_8bfed17256_o.

2. My sister has a black dog and I have yet to get a shot that I'm happy with. Good job.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Sommer,

Your snaps of Mort and Dotty are so cute. We bought a black lab back in 1978 after I began my career on the fire department so we would have a special someone around the house to protect while I was gone for my 24 hour tour. She was 7 weeks old when we brought her home from the kennel and she was so gentle. She was everything that anyone could ask for and adorned our household for 11 years until she passed. The image of Mort sure brings back some great memories of a great little girl named Bridget. Thanks for posting your special images.