Dogs hate studio flash

Discussion in 'Birds' started by ednaz, Jun 8, 2005.

1. But a little training, a little desensitization, and you can get them to work with you. Good learning experience for me in terms of eye highlights, and trying to blow out a background in high key while at the same time maintaining detail in the white fur.

First, Foster. The first time I popped the strobes when he was in front of them he went straight up in the air and made a sound I have never heard any animal make before. We're over that now, although he is still nervous, hard to put into a position, and wiggly enough to make me long for shooting pictures of 2 year olds. The first one is my favorite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there's Sam, the Wonder Dog. Completely trainable (if he wants to be) at a frighteningly smart level. In his first session in front of the camera he figured out that praise came AFTER the blinding flash of light, so if I told him to sit, said smile, and pointed a finger towards the softbox, he'd sit, crack a goofy smile, and wait until the pop to turn back to me and ask, "did I get it right, huh, did I?) Yes, I have a dog trained to smile, or be serious.

The first image is from the first day, he'd been diving in the sprinkler in the yard and looked like garbage. But dog nobility shined through.

[​IMG]

I liked this one until I noticed that the fill light and main light were different shapes, and it showed in his eye highlights. Ugh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note to those seeking to try this with their dogs - white muslin is a lousy idea. Dog hairs everywhere within the first few minutes, and you're retouching forever. Seamless paper, or vinyl, for me...

Comments or guidance welcome.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice study Ed. We got to shoot some studio shots during our visit with Birger last week and it was more fun than I imagined. He had several roll-up backdrops, and several Elinchrom studio flashes that slaved to the SB-800. It was really cool.