Dogwood on Wood

The dogwood blossoms on the tree in my backyard are at their prime, so I cut a twig and took it into my makeshift studio.

Mike 2021-04-13--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo of the Setup
It's not possible in this photo of the setup to distinguish between the black velvet tabletop and the black walls, so you'll have to take my word for it that the velvet is really there. Notice the small piece of black gaffer's tape holding the twig in position. Without that tape, the twig would have been rotated onto its side and the blossoms would have been unattractively lying on the wood. The lamp next to the camera's lens was very close to the scene and fitted with a diffusion sock because that combination made the softest possible shadows. It was positioned to light the blossom in the lower left area of the image brighter than the other blossoms. The flashlight lit the craggy notch in the wood. Fifteen focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Mike 2021-04-13--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Lovely presentation Mike. But I think you should also make a color photo with that piece of wood and the blossoms . They look great in your set up photo.

Lovely presentation Mike. But I think you should also make a color photo with that piece of wood and the blossoms . They look great in your set up photo.

Thanks, Binnur! I'm actually thinking of making a photo just with you in mind and using that piece of wood and color. I haven't settled on the right subjects or composition yet, but I'll eventually get to it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom