Doing Freebies can also make you money...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seneca, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok this is what happened. I was asked by my son's highschool if I could take some pictures of the Senior Band Members and also the Drum Majors for the 2008 - 2009. Of course I was hesitatant at first because i was like "No I really don't have time". I was contacted a second time...apparently someone thought I said "Ok sure I have time". At this point I could not say no. I went into this knowing I was not going to make money...this was a like a PRO BONO type of work.

This all transpired about a week before school started. So the head band mother sends me an e-mail and said..."If you can be there around 1:00 p.m. on so and so date ... that would be great".

I took the shots and send the images to the printer who was doing the program. Well as i was laying in bed i had this idea to send the band mother a collage of the 40 band seniors and also the drum majors. I used the school colors as my back ground. Since the program was going to be in black and white I figured I would send her a low-res image of the color collage. Well my idea had worked and she loved it. She sent me another e-mail asking if she could sent this to all the parents...of course I said sure. Two days later she called and said she was getting lots of calls for orders she wondered if she could just give the parent my phone number and e-mail address. At this point I was thinking "Hell yeah!". Long story short...I sold 40 collages at $25.00 a piece (8x10's).

Some of you wondered how you can make money in this business...well it's great if you have children who are in high school who may know kids in band, cheerleading,...etc...parents will buy pictures of their children every single time. Now after this I will put my business card in with the 8x10 and hopefully get more individual seniors that I can shoot.

Please feel free and steal my idea...it worked for me.

2. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    that is awesome!!! can you share pic with us?

3. that is super, seneca
    well-deserved
    you worked very hard for that money

i'd love to see the collage as well

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Being that I do NOT have indidivual consent from the parents I probably cannot...but what I can do is smudge their faces and give ya'll an idea of how I did it. Let me work on that.

Thanks guys.

5. I'm glad to hear someone's makin money. I have and always will supply images pro bono for worthy organizations. I usually take quite a few pics at various events and when someone approaches me for pics I'll just send them a link to my smugmug gallery. I keep it open for a couple of days and if nobody can take 20 seconds to send a thank you reply I shut it down. People around here are tighter than bark on a tree and don't have enough decency to say thanks. Bitter? You bet! I'll be shooting a large car show tomorrow and will submit to the newspaper. They pay 35 a pop so at least it's something. I do like your idea though...(end of rant)........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

6. You really made out!

That's similar to what I'm up to. I'm shooting the local youth football league free for their yearbook and plan on making my money through with parents.

I even leave on opposing team's site seeing as I get many pics of their kids also.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ted,

A while back (like 4 years ago) I was really tired of giving away my photos, so I told myself ... "NO MORE".

To this day I still have parents ask..."Can I get a copy of that picture?"...and I am not shy I say "Sure do you want a 4x6 or 5x7...it's a better price if you buy the 5x7"...they look at me with a confused looked look on their face, and typically say..."Ummm yeah I'll take the 5x7". It works all the time.

Do well tomorrow buddy!

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    If you're shooting and they are putting black and white to save on the color price...this is where you will come in and sell those color images. Good Luck.

9. I'd definitely like to see the collage, in whatever format you are comfortable posting it (i.e. just the layout, or smudged faces, or whatever).

Congrats Sen, that's quite a coup!

10. Great job!! I'd also love to see this collage.

You taking all of us out to lunch??

11. Congratulations! That's awesome. Sounds like around $900 profit! What are you going to buy??!?!

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok here is the collage. The top picture are the drum majors...to the left of them I typed their name in different fonts.

The bottom picture; 41 or so band seniors. The band has about 200 band members total.

Wish I could've left their faces...but as a photographer I would've had to get 41 consents.

WEBBAND_COLLAGEcopy3.gif

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thanks Rodney.

I need another background...so I'll probably sell an old one that I'm tired of and just buy a new one.

Don't really need anything else so I'll leave it in my photography account. I keep my photography separate from my home budget.

14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Nice work Sen! And who'd have thought you'd make a pile of cash too eh?

:biggrin:

15. Have you ordered them yet? For an extra buck or two each you might consider having them mounted. Wouuld give a more finished feel to the product.

16. That's awesome! :smile:

17. Sweeeet!!! Great come back! Thanks for the tip, I'll use it. Think I'll say the 5x7 is cheaper and a much better value like I'm concerned about them. LOL I really have to strive to not be so negative. I'm sure there's people out there that will drop some coin for pics, just haven't found them yet.........

Cheers

Ted :smile:

18. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    thanks for the image...nicely thought out

19. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I know I truly didn't think it would work...but i'm glad it did.

Actually that's a great idea Rodney...I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks John!

You're more than welcome.

20. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    That's awesome...yeah I've done football too. Almost been hit too. :eek::biggrin: