doing it old way

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Iliah, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    We took our kids out to show them some historic places and nature in West Virginia and Pennsilvania (I had some job to do there, and we used the opportunity). This one is from Prickett's Fort, West Virginia. For more then an hour kids watched the blacksmith making hooks. They were absolute silent :) Much better then just reading the textbooks, they commented. To see that just one single hook takes about 30 minutes of smithery, lots of knowledge, skills and practice was quite an experience for them. Nothing special abot this photo, just for the album.
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great Image Iliah. Like the motion :>)))

Great thing for kids to see.

3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Thank you, Gale. That was great thing for me to see, too. Not that I have not seen such things before - I did. In a lot of smaller places in Russia blacksmiths are still doing their job in the same way, using scrap metal. But there are no roads to take children to see that. And no explanations are provided - but this man went into pretty interesting details, and showed different techniques of doing the job. I sent the photos to the keepers of the Fort, maybe they can use them for their web site, or printed ads.

On a technical note, this was taken at ISO 800, 17-55/2.8 lens st to 50mm, f/8, 1/90, manual exposure mode, spot metered from trousers and compensated +1.5eV, sharpening equivalent to Low in camera + 40/5/4 in NC, tone equivalent to Medium Low (NC). Resized in PS CS II in one step using Bicubic Sharper. Of course ISO 320 would be enough, but I'm in the process of figuring out how to use higher ISO settings with D2X :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2005
  4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I didn't realize you were in the states! Next time you'll need to give me some advance warning. I would love to meet you and your family and have some shooting time together.

Nice shot by the way.

Regards,

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You for the explanation Iliah.
    Love this type of masters at work.
    So much has been lost through our do it in a hurry culture.

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Gale,

What touched me most is that they are training some folks to those old trades and old-fashioned ways of doing things. We met a young gentleman there, who was picking up joiners' skills.