Doing video at a wedding.

In a month I'm going to be photographing a wedding for someone I've known for a while. I am charging them and I
will have a second and a third shooter taking photos. One of them is my wife who has done this before, I generally
hand her a camera [D7100] in program mode to get some back-up photos. The other person is someone who has done
portrait photography etc. before but just never done weddings, and wants some experience. He's shooting with
a full frame Panasonic and 24-105mm f4 lens mainly.
Now the customer asked if I'd be able to get some video as well as the groom's family is in another country and can't
make it to the wedding - 1.) No, they don't have a budget for a videographer, 2.) Yes I've tried to talk them into getting one -
refer to 1.)
So I will be doing some video, and photos and for now I'm thinking most of the video I do will involve having my Panasonic
G5 and GF7 set up on a tripod recording what is going on while I take photos. The G5 and GF7 can both record video continuously
without stopping after 29.59 minutes.
I'll also be doing a bit of "detail video" and a bit of creative stuff.
I've played around a bit with a cheap stabilizer [that works ok] and recently did some tests with a fluid head tripod, some panning,
tilting, and pivoting on the tripod legs which makes for some professional looking moving-camera effects and so far I think I'll be
sticking with the tripod so it's easy to just put down and move on to photos.
I'm open to any suggestions for the day :)

I have photographed a number of weddings, but not done video at them. My experience is it is important for the photo team and video team to coordinate so as to stay out of each other's shots, and to agree in advance where they will set up for each element of the ceremony. For example the unity candle, placing the rings, and first kiss typically require different shooting locations. I attended a wedding where the photographer and the video camera operator were obviously not coordinated. I doubt there was a frame of video that did not have the photographer in it.

I have photographed a number of weddings, but not done video at them. My experience is it is important for the photo team and video team to coordinate so as to stay out of each other's shots, and to agree in advance where they will set up for each element of the ceremony. For example the unity candle, placing the rings, and first kiss typically require different shooting locations. I attended a wedding where the photographer and the video camera operator were obviously not coordinated. I doubt there was a frame of video that did not have the photographer in it.
I agree 100%. At the last wedding I shot there was a videographer and we discussed beforehand where we would be and who would get priority at the time - some of the shots were better for photos, and for some of them I stepped away and made sure he got a good video.

I've included video on two weddings - both times I set up a camera behind the altar (hidden by the flowers, mostly) with an Atomos recorder and power station so I could let them run for a long time without any attention during the ceremony. One of the most underappreciated parts of video is the sound and I have yet to find a bride/groom who appreciated how hard it would have been to get good sound without having everyone at the altar wear a mic, so I have just turned the footage over to them rather than try to produce an edited video because the sound would have been so lacking.

Sean

One of the most underappreciated parts of video is the sound and I have yet to find a bride/groom who appreciated how hard it would have been to get good sound without having everyone at the altar wear a mic, so I have just turned the footage over to them rather than try to produce an edited video because the sound would have been so lacking.
Sean
I've been watching a few videos on wedding videography and most seem to have a lavalier mic on the groom with a bodypack recorder or wireless. One company has special stickers for placing it on the groom's chest.
I've been doing experiments with my zoom H1 with a mic plugged in and today I will try with the black foam over it while in my top pocket.

I've decided to simply use the G5 as a "B-camera" on a tripod to capture the day for the family back home and shoot with my D7200 and do the creative video with it as well. I did a low light test tonight with the D7200 and 16-80mm f2/8-4.0 lens and it does really well at 80mm and f4!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom