1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dolomites Disaster

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Randy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. 8A8EB999-9E46-426E-9A60-77CE3A3EFC5F.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    100mph winds 10 days ago wiped out thousands of trees. I’ve never seen destruction like this, in some places every tree is down

• Wow Wow x 1
  2. Wow! Fantastic panorama to really show the destruction as well as the greater landscape.

What caused the severe winds?

3. The first thing I though when I saw your photo was Mount St. Helen. Aside from that, nice photo with the loan tree in the center.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. 100+ winds 2 weeks ago. Thousands of pine trees that had never seen these kinds of winds. This is a once in a century storm that created epic damage that will change the beauty of the Dolomites for many years. The famous green lake is a disaster, trees in the lake everywhere, the trail devastated. This is heartbreaking to see.

5. Looks like a tornado went thru there. Are they harvesting the down timber?

6. I thought tornado also but there are so many spots where every tree is down. Some in straight lines and some circles, and not in any similar path. Some places there are 50 trees leaning in, making a pattern. Crazy hard to believe scenes. I couldn’t stop shooting.

Yes but it’s mostly pine.

7. I wish I had a laptop so I could post some pics from my D500. The images are unreal

8. Wow. Incredible devastation. Looks like some of the areas in the panhandle.

9. Yikes! Those Dolomite mountains sure do catch and channel winds.

10. My goodness. We were supposed to go there end September/first of October but had to cancel. I guess we missed seeing it as it was.

11. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Normal storms here in continental Europe.
    The speed is 80+mph. But that are no hurricanes or tornadoes.

They apear from time to time...

Regards
    Klaus

12. Not normal in Dolomites for sure

13. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Hi Randy,
    these storms are local and apear where noone is expecting them.
    It happens once a year...
    Sure, the situation is worse for the woods and the owners,

Kind regards
    Klaus

14. william hortis

william hortis

Nov 30, 2013
    Pine trees have roots close to the top of the ground and are traditionally planted in close groups similar to sweetcorn etc, this is to protect each other one falls the next one becomes vulnerable often resulting in mass destruction on the other hand broad leaf trees have much deeper roots enabling them to survive on their own.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    We had a wind storm here 10 days ago. Many spruce trees uprooted or broken off. Hundreds of trees down, blocking our driveway and another road. All fell from east to west. Amazingly none hit any of the houses, but we have a flat row boat.

16. Amazing destruction.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.