Dolphin & salmon - an unequal contest

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by alanhill, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Last weekend I made my third trip to the Black Isle near Inverness in Scotland to spend some time watching and shooting the bottle-nosed dolphins. At Chanonry Point, when the tide is rising at this time of year, the autumn run of salmon swim up the Moray Firth in a deepwater channel close to the shore. The local population of dolphins know this - so it is possible to get amazing views of the wild dolphins from the shoreline.

ChanonryPt007_137.jpg

This female dolphin was fishing with her calf. I suspect that as she was surfacing, just before I shot this photo, she killed or disabled a salmon; because she dived again immediately and resurfaced a moment later . . . .

ChanonryPt007_138.jpg

The exif data shows that the second photo was taken exactly 0.4 seconds after the first: which shows what efficient predators dolphins are.
    To emphasise the point, I saw her catch and eat at least two other large salmon within a period of about 15 minutes.
    D300 with 300mm F/4 AF-S Nikkor and TC1.4 & monopod. More photos of this dolphin and her calf to follow.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Hi Alan,

That second shot is super, you can even see the Dolphin's eye and teeth!

Bob & Nan

3. exceptional work!

4. I'm a sucker for dolphins. I love the second picture of her grabbing the fish.

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Amazing capture. Being at the right place in the right moment.

6. . . . with the camera pointing in the right direction!

Actually that's not a joke - you never know when or where a dolphin will turn up next. You watch the sea and you watch the people around you too, and you still miss a lot of things worth shooting!

Thank you all for your comments.

Alan