Dolphin & salmon - an unequal contest

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by alanhill, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Last weekend I made my third trip to the Black Isle near Inverness in Scotland to spend some time watching and shooting the bottle-nosed dolphins. At Chanonry Point, when the tide is rising at this time of year, the autumn run of salmon swim up the Moray Firth in a deepwater channel close to the shore. The local population of dolphins know this - so it is possible to get amazing views of the wild dolphins from the shoreline.

ChanonryPt007_137.

This female dolphin was fishing with her calf. I suspect that as she was surfacing, just before I shot this photo, she killed or disabled a salmon; because she dived again immediately and resurfaced a moment later . . . .

ChanonryPt007_138.

The exif data shows that the second photo was taken exactly 0.4 seconds after the first: which shows what efficient predators dolphins are.
    To emphasise the point, I saw her catch and eat at least two other large salmon within a period of about 15 minutes.
    D300 with 300mm F/4 AF-S Nikkor and TC1.4 & monopod. More photos of this dolphin and her calf to follow.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Hi Alan,

That second shot is super, you can even see the Dolphin's eye and teeth!

Bob & Nan

3. exceptional work!

4. I'm a sucker for dolphins. I love the second picture of her grabbing the fish.

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Amazing capture. Being at the right place in the right moment.

6. . . . with the camera pointing in the right direction!

Actually that's not a joke - you never know when or where a dolphin will turn up next. You watch the sea and you watch the people around you too, and you still miss a lot of things worth shooting!

Thank you all for your comments.

Alan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.