Dolphin versus Salmon - there's only one winner!

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by alanhill, Jul 18, 2007.

1. The bottle-nosed dolphins of the Moray Firth in Scotland are the most northerly population of this species. They grow significantly larger than others, perhaps to help them keep warm and perhaps because they have plenty of food.
    The dolphins venture close inshore at Chanonry Point on the Black Isle to catch Atlantic salmon returning to spawn. I spent three afternons there last week, and I only managed to take two photos worth sharing here: but I consider myself fortunate :smile:

Crunch!
    DolphinSalmon1.

Flip!
    DolphinSalmon2.

Game over!

Alan

2. Hi Alan,

The first one is good, but the second one is spectacular! It is almost like the "flip" we see when the wading birds align their catch to swallow. I like how the Dolphin is a lot farther out of the water than normal.

Bob & Nan

3. Thank you!
    Usually when I view my photos for the first time I am slightly disappointed because they aren't quite as good as the ones I imagined I was taking. The second shot is one of those rare photos which surprises you by being much better than you could hope for.
    I knew the dolphin had caught something and that I had got some shots of what was happening - but I did not expect that I could have caught it so clearly.

Alan

4. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    I know this feeling, but rest assured, you did very well with both of these shots! I couldn't begin to hope for getting the second one myself!

5. You have dolphins there?? Wow! Yep, that flip shot is great.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Darn good shots.

7. Yes Daniel, north-east Scotland has resident botle-nosed dolphins and Chanonry Point is said to be the best place in Europe to watch them from dry land. It's a very special place.

Thank you all for your comments. You have raised an important question in my mind: do you think the second shot counts as a proper Reznick flip? :smile:

Alan

8. Don't know the definition of a proper Reznick flip and I guess the dolphin wouldn't care much. :wink: